Senior German Linguist
Remote, Germany /
Corporate – Production /
As a trusted global transformation partner, Welocalize accelerates the global business journey by enabling brands and companies to reach, engage, and grow international audiences. Welocalize delivers multilingual content transformation services in translation, localization, and adaptation for over 250 languages with a growing network of over 77,000 in-country linguistic resources. Driving innovation in language services, Welocalize delivers high-quality training data transformation solutions for NLP-enabled machine learning by blending technology and human intelligence to collect, annotate, and evaluate all content types. Our team works across locations in North America, Europe, and Asia serving our global clients in the markets that matter to them. www.welocalize.com
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
The Senior Linguist performs quality control tasks and on-demand translation tasks for global brands, performs linguistic lead functions; coordinates the activities of a group of translators (internal and/or freelancers), trains and develops freelancers, and ensures that the work is performed at a satisfactorily high standard within the specified deadlines and meets the expected quality results.
This is a fix term contract until June 2022.
- Performing quality control tasks on assigned projects (EN > DE)
- Performing on-demand translation tasks (EN > DE)
- Performing lead or backup lead function on assigned account(s)
- Coordinating jobs with in a defined team
- Coordinating the review tasks of assigned accounts
- Preparing, managing and maintaining the language materials (including glossaries, Style Guides, work instruction) up to the quality standards and up to date as required by the account or project
- Implementing quality procedures within the account/project and responsible for overall account language quality
- Interacting with clients on linguistic matters as required
- Ensuring good interaction among team members and resolving questions on terminology and language matters
- Managing project-related queries
- Testing and qualifying of new freelancers and vendors as required
- Developing and training new and existing freelancers according to the accounts’ and Welocalize’s needs
- Education & Experience Level
- Master in Translation/Applied Languages and at least 3 years of experience as a translator/reviewer.
- Fluent in German (native level) and English, both written and spoken
- Fluent in English and American pop culture (in order to recognize the author’s play and words on visual references, and able to adequately transcreate from English into German.
- Is familiar with a Mac and a PC
- Thorough understanding of the localization process. Excellent user experience of OS and iOS software as well as Windows and various CAT Tools, e.g. Idiom Desktop Workbench, SDL Trados Studio. Knowledge of any other CAT tool is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Excellent knowledge of terminology used in two or more subject matters.
- Ability to work with tight deadlines.
- Ability to give clear, concise and constructive feedback.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, linguists
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.