Tamil Language Quality Manager
Chennai, India /
Corporate – Quality /
As a trusted global transformation partner, Welocalize accelerates the global business journey by enabling brands and companies to reach, engage, and grow international audiences. Welocalize delivers multilingual content transformation services in translation, localization, and adaptation for over 250 languages with a growing network of over 77,000 in-country linguistic resources. Driving innovation in language services, Welocalize delivers high-quality training data transformation solutions for NLP-enabled machine learning by blending technology and human intelligence to collect, annotate, and evaluate all content types. Our team works across locations in North America, Europe, and Asia serving our global clients in the markets that matter to them. www.welocalize.com
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Language Quality Manager is a key member of one or several account teams as
appointed by the Head of the Quality Group. The LQM is responsible for the creation,
implementation, development, and oversight of the language quality program. Quality of the
language deliverables extends from linguistic quality and adherence to client requirements,
through to quality of service from the translation teams. This is a client-facing role and the
Language Quality Manager will play an active role in strategic account quality planning,
working closely with the Program Director. The LQM will be able to work on the account with
only limited support.
Language Quality Program
Ownership of the overall linguistic quality program for all languages on the account
Act as main interface for any quality and process matters for the client and the account team
Develop, implement and maintain a quality plan in accordance with client requirements and with the key business drivers of the account team; demonstrate quality program ROI
Research and deploy methods to improve quality and knowledge retention and management
Manage the cost of quality and build programs that are sensitive to the cost constraints of the account
Work closely with the Talent Program Management team to ensure that LQA reviewers assigned to the account add value are in line with the account requirements and content types
Quality of Service
Monitor and control translation team performance from a service point of view, engaging with the project management team to seek their feedback
Put corrective actions in place where service falls short of expectations
Quality at Source
Define client-specific vendor model and work closely with the Talent Program Management team to ensure translations resources assigned to the account are in line with the account requirements and content types.
Own evaluation and management of existing linguistic assets (glossaries, style guides, TMs, etc.), query management and client instruction processes and related issues
Verify integrity and usability of new client assets before distribution to all the teams
Perform language s analysis at the customer RFIs, RFEs and RFQs stage to advise on process and resource model impact
Customize client instructions or create instructions from scratch, as necessary, to ensure that translation teams are clear on process methodology, translation technology and deliverables
Establish query management workflow together with the Program Director
Define SME (Subject Matter Experts) requirements based on source complexity and content type
Analytics and Reporting
Manage data on quality and vendor performance, produce statistical quality reports and create related documentation plus RCA where needed.
Research and develop methods to solicit client feedback
Provide input to Talent Program Management and account team if resources do not perform, remediation efforts have failed, and a replacement team is needed
Report on quality trends and action plans in Account team meetings and Quality team meetings and actively participate in quality calls with vendors and the client
Analyze processes and provide input on potential risks and possible solutions to project management team for upcoming projects
Actively participate in the Quality Group forums and collaborate with other Quality Managers and Talent Program Managers in improvement initiatives
Engage with client reviewers to define and agree on quality program and drive arbitration processes and present in client meetings and calls.
Author client facing documentation related to the quality program, e.g. corrective action plans, pro-active improvements, trends, any innovation that brings value, etc.
Training, development and knowledge retention /management
Identify training needs for translation teams and create and maintain training program, including an on-boarding program for new teams
Create and maintain process and quality control documentation, build a knowledge base and own the language quality section of the portal
Liaise with development and engineering team to define account specific processes and help to identify tools to support translation and reporting needs
With support from the Head of Language Quality and the RLQM; supervise, coach and mentor the Language Coordinator(s) assigned to the account
Carry out supervisory responsibilities with support from the HLQ and RLQM in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. These include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
QUALIFICATION AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- Education Level
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a college or university in related filed (Translation, Applied Modern Languages).
- Other relevant skills
- Tamil and Hindi speaker
- Fluent in English (both written and spoken, in a wide range of registers)
- Experience in leadership roles an advantage and proven track record in Localization Vendor Management and Language Team Management or Quality Management specifically (> 1 year)
- Knowledge of main CAT tools, i.e. MemoQ, Trados, etc.
- Knowledge of X-bench and/or other Language QA tools
- Working experience in an ISO quality certified translation company
- Proven experience in development of processes and ideas
- Willingness to constantly analyze the way we do things –to challenge the conventional wisdoms and seek new ways to gain incremental improvements
- Strong management and negotiation skills are a must
- Excellent computer literacy skills and strong inclination to use technology to collaborate in a community, collect feedback, analyze data and automate data management steps. User of tools to manage metrics, reports and cost calculations.
- Excellent understanding of Translation Memory tools and Translation Management Systems (TMS). A good understanding of Machine Translation (MT) engines and MT Post-editing, (processes, tools, schedule and budget impact) is a plus.
- Experience in managing projects an advantage
- Actively Drives their projects and teams and has a positive Impact
- Shows good Negotiation Skills and Situational Awareness
- Understands the importance of SMART objectives and is Results Orientated
- Can establish & Develop Processes and procedures as part of a client program
- Team player and Team Builder with the ability to problem-solve, show initiative and influence others
- “Can do” attitude
- Results driven work ethic with High Energy and Enthusiasm levels