Every day, millions of people rely on WeTransfer to share their creative ideas.
WeTransfer believes creative thinking changes the world, so we help people bring their ideas to life through a collection of beautifully obvious tools. Beyond the WeTransfer.com platform where 50 million people send one billion files every month, we have the storytelling platform WePresent, quick slide-making tool Paste, immersive sketching app Paper, and inspiration-capturing tool Collect. We design and deliver delightful experiences that continue to feel obvious and intuitive to millions of people—from our moms to your favorite artists.
As a certified B-Corp, WeTransfer aims to be a sustainable and responsible tech company, balancing people, planet, and profit. The Creative Studio is our in-house creative agency which oversees everything we put out into the world. Our team of designers, developers and project managers work closely with our product, marketing, advertising and editorial teams. Together we help design, plan and publish projects that capture the imaginations of millions of users and our global audience.
So, the work we do matters. Come and be a part of it.
As a Design Director, you are part of the Creative Studio, our in-house creative agency which oversees everything we put out into the world. Our team of designers, copywriters, developers and project managers work closely with our product, marketing, advertising and editorial teams. Together we guide, create, and publish projects that capture the imaginations of millions of users and our global audience.
WeTransfer stands for freedom, creativity, simplicity, and humanity. It is your responsibility to make sure we inspire and reflect these values wherever WeTransfer shows up. From our evolving product line-up to our editorial arm WePresent, across research & innovation projects like Ideas Report and the Future of Creativity, and our Influence podcast—there is so much more to WeTransfer than most people are aware of, and we need your help to tell the world about it.
Main responsibilities would be helping to define creative excellence and levels of experimentation within the group. Through reputation and industry presence we would look at this key hire to help us hire other top tier designers and creatives. They will be tasked with ensuring we can continue to build capabilities to develop industry award winning and recognized work.
We want someone who can move autonomously, asks for forgiveness and not permission. WeTransfer is a leader in the creative industry … The aim is to further cement this recognition and understanding with this hire and the work that they will be a part of developing.
What you will be doing:
- Translate the company’s vision and strategy into design directions
- Lead teams and projects from start to finish push the envelope and strives for the highest quality of design and more importantly development
- Develop team plans and priorities (in partnership with all team leaders)
- Continuously evolve and innovate our visual language
- Design cornerstone projects to support Product, Marketing, and Editorial initiatives
- Collaborate with people and teams across the company to forge all design into a cohesive brand experience
- Co-author the design system, ensuring the team provides the necessary documentation, tooling and assets to enable others to independently create high-quality, on-brand work
- In collaboration with cross-functional teams, you will develop and drive innovative solutions for digital storytelling across WT.com platforms and all commercial digital touch points
- Be an ambassadors for the brand and its design—coaching and guiding others to make WeTransfer the most human and lovable technology brand out there
- Design with a mindset to make our output be a creative beacon within the community
What you bring to the table:
- 11+ years of working experience, at agencies and ideally some time spent at digital product/service companies
- A leader and role model for positive and empowering behavior, hard-work with an ability to inspire, challenge and work seamlessly with other team members
- Present creative work in a compelling and persuasive way to cross-functional partners and senior leadership
- Resist complacency. Be convinced there can always be a better way and resolve to be open minded about the opportunity to elevate your team and you.
- Decision maker— guided by functional business plans—that impact the support and funding of projects
- Performs work in support of Brand plans; integrates company mission into daily work and planning; leads or participates in key initiatives with moderate or wide visibility
- Strong digital portfolio with visually stunning work, leading rather than following trends
- Solid understanding of working with success metrics
- Actively engaged with what’s happening in the world of arts & culture
- Fluent in English (written and spoken) is a must
With the global pandemic, we have adopted a distributed way of working around our homebase in Amsterdam. While this has worked well, and we’ve welcomed our first truly remote member to our team, we do recognize the value in coming together as a group. If you’re applying from abroad, we would prefer you being based in Western Europe, roughly between London and Berlin, and willing to relocate to Amsterdam in time.
WeTransfer is an equal opportunity employer and we pride ourselves on the diversity of our people. We welcome you, and everything that makes you—well, you. That includes your gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, or disability status.
A few more things about us, written by us: