Director of Growth Marketing
Marketing – Marketing & Growth /
Whereabouts: Within CET +/- 9 hours and have some restrictions on hiring engineering
Salary: Starting at £82,000 | $144,000 for USA-based candidates
Reporting to: Ryan Bonnici, our CMO
Ask us anything: firstname.lastname@example.org
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison
Please note: If you aren’t seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at email@example.com
Your mission at Whereby*
Build and scale up a growth marketing team that drives new-user acquisition, free trials & revenue.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 60 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Marketing at Whereby
The Marketing team at Whereby is working together to reach the company’s growth and revenue goals. From creating engaging content to managing user lifecycle campaigns, the team is setting the standards for how SaaS brands interact with their users. The Marketing team is currently having a lot of fun developing and implementing the marketing strategy, as well as working on increasing brand awareness, establishing product positioning and driving customer growth.
🔍 What we're looking for in our Director of Growth Marketing
We're looking for a T-shaped marketer who works tirelessly to find innovative ways to drive user acquisition, keep customers engaged, retain them, and ultimately turn them into brand champions. They will also (ideally) have experience in building and leading a successful growth marketing team with a strong culture (engaged, autonomous, and hard working). They will be fearlessly creative, willing to measure everything, be able to admit failure, get stuff done, but never say it’s done.
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
- 💡 Innovative
- 🥅 Goal orientated
- 🌳 Revenue-motivated
- 💛 Autonomous
- 📈 Data-informed
- 💪 Relentless
Your previous experience
- Are a current Director of Growth Marketing, or Senior Manager of Growth Marketing
- Have experience with martech tools such as CDP’s like Segment, MA tools like HubSpot/Eloqua/Iterable, Paid Marketing platforms like Google/FB/Linkedin, and CRM tools like Salesforce/HubSpot
- Are a Self-starter. Super focused. Fast-paced business spending at least $250K per month on paid acquisition (so they can handle bigger budgets)
- Have experience operating in a fast-paced environment
- Enjoy working in distributed teams
- Are working in a SaaS, B2B, freemium product
- Are a really nice person with loads of ambition!
How we'll measure your success🌟
- At the end of the day, the success measure for this role is quite simple: revenue.
- That said, we will also look at sub-metrics that drive towards this. Some of those metrics include:
- - Free User Acquisition - # of new users that sign up to the free plan
- - Free-to-paid user conversion rate - % of free users who convert to trials and then paying customers.
- - Business trials - # of users who begin a trial of our business package
- - UPIMS - this stands for unique participants in a meeting. Don’t worry, it’s not as complicated as it sounds. It’s essentially the # of people in conversations with other folks on Whereby.
- We will also measure your ability to recruit and retain folks on your team (team happiness is very important to us and we use the RANDs test at the moment to measure this).
- Develop and grow a high performing, metrics-driven, customer acquisition and retention team made up of campaign management, digital marketing (email, push, etc), and partner marketing.
- Create scalable, predictable and repeatable process of creating revenue by guiding prospects all the way through the funnel, from anonymous to delighted customer - such that we achieve our revenue.
- Oversee all aspects of growth marketing / demand generation to achieve our company revenue goals.
- Lead strategic development of multi-channel direct and channel acquisition campaigns including but not limited to search, display, email, social, direct mail, events, ABM and content syndication.
- Meet and exceed net-new user acquisition, free trials, unique participants in a meeting (UPIM), and other leading indicators of revenue.
- Partner with the Director of Marketing Operations to forecast, measure, analyze and report on the impact of growth marketing activities on revenue.
- Continuously evaluate the performance and ROI of campaigns, adjusting demand tactics and strategy accordingly.
- Partner with product marketing to define go-to-market strategies, buyer personas, value proposition, messaging and execute product launches.
- Partner with brand marketing to create and execute brand campaigns, and to share feedback on how brand marketing campaigns are creating uplift in direct marketing.
- Partner with sales on the API side of our business, to drive strong alignment on b2b campaign strategy, execution, pipe generation, and win-rate objectives.
- Optimize targeting, creative, media and budget allocation to maximize effectiveness and ROI.
- Assess new trends and drive continual improvement of our acquisition, onboarding and retention strategies.
- Manage growth marketing programs across various channels, and software tools.
- Help growth marketing team achieve their goals through weekly 1:1s, ongoing mentorship & coaching.
- Share regular feedback to team members to help them in their career growth.
- Manage relationships across the sub-teams within marketing, as well as across the company.
- Use tools like ChartMogul, Amplitude, and many more, to track usage and revenue metrics.
- Manage a high-performance marketing team.
- With a commercial mindset you find joy and progression in hitting our goals and developing new milestones for yourself and the team.
- You will be an important part of the Marketing Management team, giving input on the overall company and product strategy, from a marketing and user point of view.
- As our company grows, you will need to work on promoting the marketing's role across the department and ensure alignment with other leaders.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email email@example.com or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.