Business Operations – Finance & Operations /
Permanent, Remote, EU Only
Whereabouts: We are global and hours agnostic, although we do have some restrictions on hiring engineering
Salary: Starting* at £86,000 globally and $130,000 for US candidates*
Note: We have no “caps” on our salary, and you can read our full compensation philosophy here. If our advertised salary doesn’t suit your current expectations, just let us know. Although we do not negotiate salaries, we may be able to offer the role at a more senior level or with an alternative scope.
Reporting to: Jessica Hayes, COO
Ask us anything: email@example.com
“Finance is not merely about making money. It’s about achieving our deep goals and protecting the fruits of our labor. It’s about stewardship and, therefore, about achieving the good society.” – Robert J. Shiller
🌏 What is Whereby all about
Created with Scandinavian simplicity at heart, Whereby is a remote-first video meetings company on a mission to give people the freedom to live and work in harmony.
We believe in everyone. We see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission. This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
🔍 What we're looking for in our Finance Director
A brief overview of what we're looking for in this role/candidate. Think the 'TLDR' version... or the version someone might copy and paste onto LinkedIn.
Your mission at Whereby*
To lead our finance team, support our executive team and board’s decision making, and to build a culture where Finance contributes to decision making. Our Finance Director should seek to build a team which values efficiency through the creation of finance processes, as well as being internally-facing to facilitate good financial decision making across the business.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
How we'll measure your success🌟
- Variance to budget
- Operating Cash Flow
- Financial compliance and auditing
- Whereby’s team understanding of our financial health
- Finance team happiness and performance
Your previous experience
- Are a current Finance Lead, Head of Finance, Finance Director, or a VP Finance,
- Have experience managing a small but successful Finance team in a startup or scale up,
- Enjoy working in distributed teams,
- Working on a company with multiple entities, and which has some complex reporting requirementsHave some experience working in SaaS or PaaS,
- Proud to manage lean teams, build
- Are a really nice person with loads of ambition!
Scope of your work
- Grow and manage a world-class team within a performance and people driven culture
- Take a leading role in bringing operational excellence to set up the right amount of process, including reporting and structure to increase planning and reporting accuracy
- Own the annual and on-going monthly reporting and planning e.g. supervise the entire budget and forecasting process for the business and constantly interact with the leadership team
- Define, measure, track and report appropriate financial KPIs to support decision-making across the whole Whereby team
- Designing and implementing improvements to the business’ decision making process, from governance to business case approval and tracking
- Work closely with the team leads and executive team on all key commercial and strategic initiatives
- Take responsibility for corporate governance and regulatory requirements
Day-to-day of your role
- Managing 3 members of our finance team (Financial Accountant, FP&A, Tax and Compliance Manager)
- Ensure fundamental reliability, scalability and performance of our finance operations
- Delivering internal and external analysis to the Board, Executive Team and CEO, as needed
- Report directly to the management team to ensure full transparency over financial performance
- The preparation and wrap-up of board/shareholder meetings incl. presentation of all relevant financial KPIs
- Drive the company's revenue, costs and profitability analysis
- Ensure compliance of financials with IGRS, HGB and tax regulations
- Oversee the commercial relationships with customers, partners, landlords and financing providers from a financial perspective
- Reporting on capital expenditure by project, versus approved budget and with success metrics in mind
- Forecasting, working capital management, FX, international tax planning, payrolling, fundraising, M&A etc
- You'll be leading your function from the top, working with the Exec team and COO to build the kind of culture you want to scale
- We would hope that this role has a line into VP Finance and joining the executive team at Whereby
- We like to keep a lean team, and although our engineering team will likely reach 50 in the near future, we don't think it's a good fit for someone believes headcount is a metric for success.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can always read more about Whereby here on our open handbook.
Note: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email email@example.com or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.