Tax Compliance Officer
Business Operations – Finance & Operations /
Whereabouts: Within CET +/- 9 hours and have some restrictions on hiring engineering
Salary: Starting at £42,000 | $60,000 for USA-based candidates*
*Note: We have no “caps” on our salary, and you can read our full compensation philosophy here. If our advertised salary doesn’t suit your current expectations, just let us know and we’re very open to discussing further.
Reporting to: Monika Refvik, Director of Operations
"Taxation is the price which civilized communities pay for the opportunity of remaining civilized." - Albert Bushnell Hart
Your mission at Whereby*
To keep up to date on relevant tax requirements, ensure efficient processes and routines regarding Tax/VAT are fulfilled and ensure tax compliance across the 150+ countries where we are present.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 90+ team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Finance & Operations at Whereby
Finance & operations at Whereby currently counts 7 employees, covering areas like billing, tax & compliance, subscription management, payroll, and more. We are huge believers in making complex matters as simple as possible. Technologies we use to our advantage are; Stripe, Quaderno, Avalara, and Chargebee.
🔍 What we're looking for in our Tax Compliance Officer
We're looking for competent and well-trained tax compliance professional, who is motivated to stay up to date on regulations, advise management on implications of strategic direction on tax compliance, as well as operate in the details when ensuring tax compliance.
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role
Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must-have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on".
- Detail orientated
- Highly focussed
Your previous experience
- You are a qualified accountant with a very strong practical knowledge of tax compliance across different regions
- You are fully conversant with business and personal tax and have previous experience from similar jobs
- We expect you to be familiar with standard tax legislation relevant to the role of a Tax Compliance Manager.
- You are an excellent communicator who is able to present information in a clear and concise manner to our users, and to the members of our team
🌟 How we'll measure your success
- The efficiency of processes and routines related to tax compliance
- Satisfactory compliance in relevant and strategic markets
- Accuracy and timeliness of tax compliance and tax issue resolution
- Keep up to date on relevant tax requirements, and ensure the company is set up to efficiently comply across the 150+ countries where we are present
- Advise management regarding the tax impact of corporate strategies
- Provide input into group planning in relation to tax capacity for the organization
- Recommend and draft new policies and procedures of the company to ensure compliance with updated tax laws, rules, and regulations
- Collaborate with the rest of the finance & operations team in developing the organization, taking on new responsibilities if required to further develop identified opportunities for the company.
- Implement and follow-up all necessary processes and routines with regards to Tax/VAT
- Monitor sales and tax thresholds per country, and initiate tax registration processes were necessary
- Preparation and filing of annual tax returns and supporting financial statements
- Develop and maintain contact with external parties to ensure appropriate and timely resolutions of tax issues
- Coordinate audits by various taxation authorities to identify potential tax exposures and prioritize and implement recommended measures to address them
- Provide guidance to Finance, Accounting, and Operating departments on compliance requirements
- Liaise with the tax authorities to resolve any queries or issues arising in relation to tax returns
- Liaise with other advisors both internally and externally to ensure all tax submissions accurately reflect all transactions within tax reporting
- Update the company sales tax database as tax rates change
- Research and correct process errors that caused incorrect tax filings
- Negotiate with tax authorities over tax payment issues
- Review contracts/documents of the company to identify tax issues, concerns and where applicable; recommend options to achieve tax efficiency/savings
- We are still a fairly small company and team where your contribution and results will have a great impact and visibility.
- We expect you to work hands-on from the start, and with time we look forward to following you into other roles such as team lead, as you develop and new opportunities arise within the company.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to email@example.com. You can always read more about Whereby here on our open handbook.
Note: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.