Product & Technology – Product /
Whereabouts: We work from everywhere within CET +/- 7 hours
Interviews: Around 4-6 hours over a few weeks, including some practical work
Reporting to: Ingrid, our CPTO
Ask us anything: firstname.lastname@example.org
"Localization isn't just about translation. It's know what people do, how they react, how their language works in addition to making one meaning match another." - Brian
Please note: If you aren’t seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at email@example.com
Your mission at Whereby*
Take ownership of product localization at Whereby, defining a process and setting up the tools required to scale our localization efforts.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 60 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Product at Whereby
We strongly believe in the superpowers of an empowered, passionate and cross-functional product team. We are a product-led business who strive to evolve our product alongside users, exceed their expectations and delight them. We try to ensure both that we are building the right thing and building the thing right. We analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. We focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of our product team you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
Feel free to read about what Jessie, our VP People thinks about running a world-class people function: People Ops as a Product 🚀
🔍 What we're looking for in our Localization Manager
We're looking for a Localization Manager who has experience in delivering continuous high-quality translations in a high-paced environment. Your experience and insight will help us identify opportunities within new regions. You embrace Whereby's vision of a future where people have the freedom and flexibility to live and work where they thrive. You're not afraid to be hands-on when building out the process and tools needed to scale our localization efforts. You embrace working closely with product teams, including marketing and design. You're pragmatic, eager to "get things done".
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
- 💪 Autonomous
- 💛 Product-mindset
- 📈 Keen learner
- 🔍 Planner
- ☁️ Pragmatic
Your previous experience
- Hands-on experience with software localization project management
- Experience working with PhraseApp, Crowdin, or similar tools
- An eye for details and strong organizational skills
- Experience with continuous delivery of translations
- Ability to collaborate effectively with stakeholders and act as a strategic partner in product decisions
- A strong desire for creative problem-solving with a positive attitude
- Enjoy working in distributed teams and,
- Are a really nice person with loads of ambition!
How we'll measure your success🌟
- Coverage and percentage across the service
- Speed of translations
- Impact on conversion
- Maintain the tone of voice and personality of Whereby across different languages
- Help the whole organization understand how to use the localization solution better
- Coverage of the main languages we need to support
- Set up key systems for handling translation
- Recruitment of translators
- Define the process that coordinates the translation and product work
- Work with the Product Team to understand limitations and opportunities within languages
- Coordinate translations
- Verifying translation quality
- You'll have the opportunity and flexibility to be part of different teams and develop in several areas.
- Possibility to take lead on building out your own team
- We encourage our team members to attend one course/conference event per year, and attend relevant events on a frequent basis.
- Potentially big impact on the overall business.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.