Product & Technology – Product /
Whereabouts: Within CET +/- 9 hours and have some restrictions on certain roles
Salary: Starting at £41,000
Reporting to: Privacy & Ethics Lead, Jonas Lybech Jensen (Data Protection Officer)
Ask us anything: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other: This process will involve a criminal records and background check
“Arguing that you don’t care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don’t care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”
Please note: If you are not seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at email@example.com
Your mission at Whereby*
By earning users' trust through demonstrated compliance, transparency, and honest communication we believe we'll be able to turn privacy into a competitive advantage and something our product differentiates on. You'll also enable our team to move fast and do things right by providing great privacy tools and assistance internally.
*This is the mission that moves you and our privacy team through your strategic roadmap, and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 60 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Privacy at Whereby
Privacy at Whereby is headed up by Privacy & Ethics Lead, Jonas Lybech Jensen (our Data Protection Officer). The team is currently supported by external consultants when it comes to delivering larger projects. This gives our team a lot of interesting insights from external privacy experts. As member #2 in our in-house team, you will work closely with different teams internally and externally - it's in collaboration with others we make sure to stay at the forefront of our user's expectations, gaining their trust through demonstrated compliance, transparency, and honest communication.
As a team we're measured on the following criteria of success:
- Process efficiency and quality when it comes to monitoring compliance and handling incidents
- Engineering and product roadmap completion
- Engagement and satisfaction of users who engage with our privacy information and features
- Attention generated around privacy as a differentiating factor in the industry
🔍 What we're looking for in our Privacy Advisor
We're looking for someone who is thrilled to work with privacy questions in software and can balance compliance with great user experience, commercial opportunities, and ethics. You are eager to enter a fast-growing company that will allow you to learn fast and grow as a privacy professional.
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role
Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
📍Operational (in the detail)
🚀 Keen learner
Your previous experience and mindset
- 1-2 years as privacy or legal advisor, or fresh out of law school
- Good understanding of European privacy
- Good understanding of Norwegian law, including contract, marketing and labour law
- Ethically ambitious and pragmatic
- Not afraid of trying new things, positive and solution-oriented way of working
- Proven ability to work in distributed teams with a high degree of autonomy, for instance during studies or in sports
- Solid understanding of technology, built through working experience or as a hobby
🌟 How we'll measure your success
- Delivering compliant, business friendly and ethically ambitious solutions
- Applying a risk based approach: Achieving double the impact in half the time
- Contributing to achieving team success criteria
- Challenging yourself to become better
- Contribute to Whereby's privacy strategy, in particular on the topic of transparency
- Contribute to identifying global trends and topics of relevance to Whereby and in raising awareness by contributing to our privacy newsletter
- Evangelise privacy internally and externally
- Be the key internal expert on Norwegian stakeholders such as the Norwegian Data Protection Authority and the Norwegian Consumer Council
- Bring forward technical and privacy-elevating ideas to further our company (even if they challenge the status-quo)
- Work with product teams and engineering in developing new features in a privacy-friendly way
- Contribute to the implementation, maintenance and continuous improvement of Whereby's privacy information management system (ISO 27701)
- Advise the Data Protection Officer on challenging legal questions
- Answering customer inquiries in a concise, transparent and intelligible way and using clear and plain language without undue delay
- Advise the business on for instance privacy by design, data processing agreements, and data ethics
- Train our team in privacy and ethical use of data, inc. on-boarding of new employees
- We expect you may have strong ambitions to become a leading privacy expert
- We are eager to help you grow - we will adapt the role over time to make sure you get the challenges you need
- To achieve the necessary progression, you need to be independent, willing to make mistakes, and not afraid to ask for help
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email email@example.com or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.