Product Manager (Trust & Safety)
Product & Technology – Product /
Whereabouts: Within CET +/- 9 hours and have some restrictions on hiring engineering
Salary: Starting at £80,000 | $140,000 for USA-based candidates
Reporting to: Ingrid Ødegaard, CPO
Ask us anything: email@example.com
“A great product manager has the brain of an engineer, the heart of a designer, and the speech of a diplomat.” Deep Nishar
Please note: If you are not seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your mission at Whereby*
Lead our work with ensuring our product is safe to use for all users, preventing any misuse and working with our other teams on building capability to scale while handling any ethical, legal and operational risks and incidents.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 90 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Product at Whereby
We strongly believe in the superpowers of an empowered, passionate and cross-functional product team. We are a product-led business who strive to evolve our product alongside users, exceed their expectations and delight them. We try to ensure both that we are building the right thing and building the thing right. We analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. We focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of our product team you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
🔍 What we're looking for in our Product Manager
We're looking for someone who has experience with handling challenges that arise when offering a free, global product at scale. You understand that there are no simple answers, and thrive in taking lead on finding out what Whereby's approach should be to complex ethical, legal and operational issues. You enjoy collaborating and have great abilities to process and synthesize information, and can be creative in coming up with ideas.
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on".
- 👩🏾💻 Tech-enabled
- 🎨 Entrepreneurial
- 💛 Empathetic and collaborative
- 📈 Strategic and analytical, with a product mindset
- 💪 Disciplined
Your previous experience
- You are a current Product Manager, Operations Manager, Technical Product/Program manager, Engineer, or in similar roles
- You have proven experience with product management of a large-scale software product, ideally in the consumer market
- You have very good technical understanding, ideally background in software development. Experience with machine learning, data modelling is a plus
- You have an interest in legal and privacy issues, maybe even education within this area
- Experience with creating and maintaining product and engineering road map
- You have been leading cross-functional teams with engineers, product managers, marketers and designers
How we'll measure your success🌟
- Customer trust (measured through survey)
- Our ability to respond in a good way to any incidents
- Build an ethically ambitious culture across the company
- Bring forward product-elevating ideas and drive work to come up with ideas for technical solutions to further the safety of our product and prevent misuse.
- Work closely with our privacy and security teams in staying up-to-date on regulatory requirements and our approach to implementing procedures for compliance
- Contribute to our product-led strategy by understanding the problems our users face and take a customer-centric approach to solving them
- Work with rest of Product and Engineering management to ensure product reliability and scalability
- Lead projects/task forces of Engineers, Product Managers, Marketers and Designers through decisions, processes, and culture in a way demonstrative of our company values.
- Building and maintaining a road map for your product area, focusing on how we can build trust and safety into the product, and ensure our team has the tools needed for managing operations around privacy, misuse, and support operations.
- Maintain a risk register of the most likely scenarios that can impact our service
- Work with management and PR team on communications strategy and planning
- Together with the Product Management team, participate in making decisions that concern the product team as a whole and reach good solutions that balance growth and protection
- Understand the technical landscape to ideate on how we can solve our challenges using tech and data
- Scoping and following up projects across the company, in a way that team members and stakeholders feel involved
- Together with the Product and Engineering Management teams, build processes to ensure consistent quality and coherence in design, communication and product performance.
- Manage the product area of trust & safety and steer day-to-day work on development, working with teams across the company in a collaborative way
- Bring the best possible insight into customer needs and problems worth solving together with designers, data analysts & scientists, software engineers, and more.
- Make sure we know what we want to build; and base it on insight from all perspectives.
- Clearly define and prioritise problems worth solving now, later or never with a data-informed approach.
- Help and enable the team to design experiments, deliver, and to learn from actions in our build cycles.
- Evaluate if the team is doing the right thing and has real impact; adjust strategy and priorities accordingly.
- Communicate strategy, ideas, priorities, plans, effect and learning in an efficient and inspiring way
- Coach team members on quality of product work, giving and receiving feedback, understanding product/design/engineering processes, and cultural knowledge-gaps.
- Evaluate team members as part of performance evaluation process.
- Contribute to recruiting processes for new members in your team.
- We have a program designed to support people who want to move into People management, and also offer expert track within product management.
- We also have a conference and training policy, for this role it will be important to stay up-to-date on developments in the industry and stakeholder community.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to email@example.com.
Note: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.