Senior Software Engineer - SFUs (Scaling Team)
Product & Technology – Engineering /
Whereabouts: We work from everywhere within CET +/- 5 hours
Interviews: Around 4-6 hours over a few weeks, including some practical work
Reporting to: Arne Gleditsch, Our Engineering Manager
Ask us anything: email@example.com or check out our FAQ for candidates here
“I’ve never seen a job being done by a five-hundred-person engineering team that couldn’t be done better by fifty people.” - C. Gordon Bell
Your mission at Whereby*
Help us service 5 million monthly active users, with 250TB of daily traffic, by making our SFU architecture even more performant and make Whereby a globally reliable service.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 60 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Engineering at Whereby
We strongly believe in the superpowers of a well-lead, and expertly designed engineering team. We are an engineering-centric business who hopes to scale our operation sustainably, with beautiful code, an ethical approach to our users and data, and an innovative opinion on new technologies in the market.
We try to ensure both that we are building the right thing and building the thing right. We analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. We focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of our engineering team you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
🔍 What we're looking for in our Senior Software Engineer - SFU
We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Scaling team that runs our global infrastructure and media servers. You write easy-to-read and performant code with tests and documentation in case you get eaten by a yeti and are not afraid of challenging the status quo while aiming for radical simplicity in everything you do.
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
- Deep technical knowledge
- Operational (in the detail)
Your previous experience
- Are a current Senior Software Engineer, Fullstack developer, Backend developer or similar roles
- Have great experience from WebRTC and/or RTP (we use C++)
- Have expert knowledge of information security principles,
- Experience with managing distributed systems and architecture,
- Develop code a disciplined manner with proper documentation and structure
- Communicate efficiently and do development in collaboration with others
- Have strong ability to be self-driven and take responsibility for seeing your task through the release,
- And enjoy working in distributed teams.
🌟 How we'll measure your success
- Uptime and reliability of our platform.
- Engineering efficiency (no. bugs, time to deploy, code review quality)
- Peer reviews by other engineers and managers
- Ensure secure, scalable and reliable processes for the operations of our SFUs and infrastructure. We strive for security and privacy by design and want things to be robust when we ship them to all users.
- Work with our team in understanding challenges related to Quality of Service for our users, and bringing ideas for how to work with measuring QoS, using data to identify problems and making sure we have enough information to debug them.
- Collaborate with our product teams to deliver on SFU-related features on the Engineering and Product roadmap.
- A core responsibility will be maintenance and evolution of Whereby’s in-house Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU), which is integral to the quality of service of the meeting experience we deliver. We want to invest in making our SFU architecture even more performant and further improve its position as an enabler for new product innovations.
- Ensure that our SFUs and infrastructure are at the highest level of security at all times, adapting them to changing web standards e.g. IPv6.
- Working with Github, Terraform, Amazon AWS infrastructure to deploy things as soon as they’re ready.
- We want to be pioneers in building an independent, commercial product on WebRTC and aim to solve customer problems and validate our work through user testing or limited rollouts.
- Working with browser vendors to ensure that we accommodate and take advantage of emerging changes in the WebRTC specifications and implementations.
- Getting insights in how end users use our product and making suggestions for how we can constantly improve the user experience.
- Work closely with our scaling team, the rest of engineering and product managers in making our SFUs more performant, cost-effective and easy to deploy globally with various hosting providers.
- Contribute to an engineering culture based on high-quality code, data-driven discussions, technological innovation, business acumen, inclusion and diversity.
- Understand the important technical differentiating factors of our product, and leverage those in our architecture to enable new features and improve user experience.
- Identify opportunities from new technologies, and make suggestions for how they can be used to improve our products.
- Sharing what you're doing and any problems you're having in the daily team standup while contributing to breaking all assignments into smaller tasks that can realistically fit in a two-week sprint.
- You’ll be an integral part of the process of designing the product, not just implementing specs.
- You will be part of a high-performing team that deploys code several times a day and get the chance to dive deep into complex technical problems.
- You'll get the chance to work with modern development tools and methodologies, and will have a real opportunity to impact both.
- We offer career progression opportunities both for manager roles (Engineering Lead) and technical expert roles.
- We encourage developers to attend one course/conference event per year, and attend relevant events on a frequent basis.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.