Senior Web Engineer (Growth)
Product & Technology – Engineering /
Permanent, Remote, EU Only
Whereabouts: Within CET +/- 9 hours and have some restrictions on hiring engineering
Interviews: Around 4-6 hours over a few weeks, including some practical work
Salary: Starting at £65,000
Reporting to: Jamy Golden, our Engineering Manager for Growth
Ask us anything: email@example.com
“I’ve never seen a job being done by a five-hundred-person engineering team that couldn’t be done better by fifty people.” - C. Gordon Bell
Please note: If you aren’t seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your mission at Whereby*
As a member of the Growth team, you’ll apply your curiosity and ingenuity to find ways of growing the paying customer base of Whereby Meetings. You’ll form hypotheses and run experiments in pursuit of customer growth, and continually develop the tools and techniques we use to drive growth metrics.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and will likely be your focus for a year or more.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 90 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Engineering at Whereby
We strongly believe in the superpowers of a well-led, and expertly designed engineering team. We are an engineering-centric business who hopes to scale our operation sustainably, with beautiful code, an ethical approach to our users and data, and an innovative opinion on new technologies in the market.
We try to ensure both that we're building the right thing and building the thing right. We analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. We focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of our engineering team you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
🔍 We're looking for a Full-stack Engineer with Growth Experience
We're looking for a passionate engineer who has experience of metrics-driven, experimental product work in a startup – or any company that values innovation, great user experience and technical quality.
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
- You may be just the right person if others have described you as...
- 👩🏾💻 Technically experienced
- 🎨 Creative
- 💛 Collaborative
- 📈 Structured
- 💪 Disciplined
Your previous experience
- We are prioritising attitude, aptitude, and the kind of impact you’ve had over years' experience. With that said, you may be a good fit if you...
- Have worked as a full-stack software engineer using web technologies,
- Have worked in a metrics-driven team, having a direct impact on the growth of a SaaS product,
- Are self-driven and take responsibility for product outcomes, doing whatever’s necessary to make things happen,
- Have designed backend systems and APIs to a high standard of security, reliability and operability,
- Are familiar with some of the technologies we use to run our platform (AWS, Docker, Terraform),
- Enjoy working in distributed teams and working cross-functionally with Product managers, designers, user researchers and other developers,
- Write code to be maintained – with good documentation, tests, and structure,
- Are keen to learn continuously, share your knowledge, communicate effectively and build a product in close collaboration with others.
How we'll measure your success🌟
- We'll know you're doing a fantastic job when:
- You’re delivering work that has measurable business impact and value to customers – early and often,
- You’re a self-sufficient member of our team, actively scoping work and driving projects forward,
- You’re fully engaged in the product development life cycle, helping to shape your team’s roadmap,
- You’re raising the bar for technical quality and sharing your expertise.
- Work with the Growth team to develop the product growth strategy.
- Define a roadmap of experiments and initiatives to grow the paying customer base of Whereby Meetings.
- Contribute your expert opinion on the scope and feasibility of the initiatives your team considers.
- Help shape the technical strategy for our approach to experimentation in the product.
- Contribute to a diverse engineering culture based on customer-centricity, high-quality code, data-driven decisions, technical innovation and business impact.
- Develop and test product improvements that build customer growth into the DNA of Whereby Meetings as a product and ecosystem.
- Collaborate with other engineers inside and outside of the team, helping them to do their best work and deliver projects according to our values and brand.
- Understand the important technical differentiating factors of our product, and leverage those in our architecture.
- Discuss insights on how customers use our product and make suggestions for how we can constantly improve the user experience and grow the customer base.
- Take part in scoping how new features can be built, and how customer needs can be met, while making pragmatic technical trade-offs.
- Write maintainable and performant code, with tests and documentation in case you get eaten by a yeti.
- Collaborate with your team on getting things done. Share your progress, review each other’s code and help each other out with constructive feedback.
- Safely coordinate regular deployments using our CI/CD infrastructure. Monitor and support your software in production.
You’ll be working on our Growth team, and you’ll work directly with our Product Manager Horia on your day-to-day priorities. You’ll report to an Engineering Manager who will work with you on your progression – aiming to make sure you’re happy, challenged and doing the best work of your career every day. They’ll also help you find training and development opportunities.
We offer career progression routes for individual contributors, technical leaders, and managers. You don’t need to become a team lead or manager in order to progress here. It’s all about the impact you’re able to have. And there’s no shortage of opportunity to have an impact at Whereby – on the product, the business, the approach we take to product development and engineering, and on your colleagues.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to email@example.com.
Note: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.