Director of Content
Marketing – Marketing & Growth /
Whereabouts: Within CET +/- 9 hours and have some restrictions on hiring engineering
Salary: Starting at £82,000 | $144,000 for USA-based candidates
Reporting to: Ryan Bonnici, our CMO
Ask us anything: email@example.com
“If content is king, distribution is queen - and together, they will rule” - Unknown
Please note: If you aren’t seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your mission at Whereby*
Drive organic traffic and email subscribers to the Whereby blog and website.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 60 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Marketing at Whereby
The Marketing team at Whereby is working together to reach the company’s growth and revenue goals. From creating engaging content to managing user lifecycle campaigns, the team is setting the standards for how SaaS brands interact with their users. The Marketing team is currently having a lot of fun developing and implementing the marketing strategy, as well as working on increasing brand awareness, establishing product positioning and driving customer growth.
🔍 What we're looking for in our Director of Content
We're looking for someone who has experience in building and leading a successful SEO-driven content team and is not afraid to exercise their creative muscles to create new fresh ideas. We have a strong autonomous company culture and we’re looking for someone to disregard ego and empower the team to create great work. We’re looking for someone who can create a safe and efficient space for ideas to flourish and for ideas to be validated by data. You thrive working in a fast paced environment, and your leadership style is honest, encouraging, and innovative.
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
- 💡 Innovative
- 🎨 Creative
- 💛 Leader with vision
- 📈 Analytical
- 💪 Relentless
Your previous experience
- Are a current Director of Content, Senior Manager of Content, or a Content Marketing Team Lead
- Experience in the management of a high-performance team that regularly achieves and over-achieves on it’s goals
- Have successfully driven significant organic web traffic through an SEO-driven content strategy
- Strong analytical skills, showing deep interest in research and analysis
- You solve problems creatively, and have experience building content in multiple formats to drive business results (eg. free tools, video, etc)
How we'll measure your success🌟
- At the end of the day, the KPIs we care about most for this role are: organic traffic that leads to blog subscribers and leads.
- That said, we will also look at sub-metrics that drive towards this. Some of those metrics include: organic search rankings, referring domains & links, # of blog posts per month, domain authority, and blog-to-lead conversion rate.
- We will also measure your ability to recruit and retain folks on your team (team happiness is very important to us and we use the RANDs test at the moment to measure this).
- Develop and oversee Whereby's content strategy and ensure that it is applied and aligned with Whereby's overall objectives.
- Create high-quality and helpful content (blogs, white papers, free tools, videos, research reports) - anything really, to hit our content team’s goals of driving organic traffic and new users to Whereby.com.
- Serve as an exemplary content creator, inspiring our content team to always be improving, trying new things, and taking risks.
- Push the business to adopt better content creation practices through ongoing testing of new content formats, content topics, and distribution channels.
- Develop and map both short- and long-term creative and content strategies and,
- Continuously monitor and optimize which content topics, formats & distribution tactics work best.
- Partner closely with senior leaders across Whereby marketing, and the wider business.
- Build our end-to-end content strategy: strategize what topics we want to own, how we should go about creating this content (internal writers, or external freelancers), and how we should optimize our distribution to grow our traffic as fast as possible.
- Implement a strong and efficient editorial process to deliver content on a regular cadence.
- Conduct brainstorming sessions with the team to develop innovative and actionable creative initiatives.
- Explore new content possibilities in various forms of media: video, print, video, and more.
- Work together with your team- make road maps, etc- in a way that they feel involved and brought in.
- Embed a culture focus on highlighting our customer stories and tie content themes to our industry challenges.
- Build and lead content and SEO strategy for Whereby.
- Identify content pillars that have high traffic potential, and rally team around creating content to rank in the top positions for said content on Google.
- Build thought leadership content series' through different content formats (youtube, podcasts, etc).
- Manage a high-performance marketing team.
- With a commercial mindset you find joy and progression in hitting our goals and developing new milestones for yourself and the team.
- You will be an important part of the Marketing Management team, giving input on the overall company and product strategy, from a marketing and user point of view.
- As our company grows, you will need to work on promoting the marketing's role across the department and ensure alignment with other leaders.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to email@example.com.
Note: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.