Quality Control (QC) Technician
San Francisco, CA
Operations – Quality & Regulatory
Whole Biome is on a mission to help people improve physical and mental health by creating a new category of products that target the microbiome. We are researching, developing and commercializing a novel class of rationally-designed Live SynbioticsTM (probiotics + prebiotics) that have demonstrated clinical efficacy to treat conditions like metabolic syndrome, inflammation and neurodegeneration. Whole Biome has created proprietary pipelines to build a unique discovery platform that identifies key, novel bacterial strains and the prebiotics that feed them.
We are currently seeking a Quality Control Technician to join our Quality Team. This position reports to our Sr. Manager, Quality. The ideal Quality Control Technician is a team builder who is comfortable with motivating, supporting and coaching team members towards compliance and quality standards. To be successful in this role, 2-3+ years of experience with Food/Beverage Manufacturing in Production or Quality Assurance is ideal. This team member will work closely with the production team to ensure the quality of all incoming materials and components, work in progress, and finished product. The successful candidate will need to be able to learn new systems quickly and adapt to changing needs as Whole Biome rapidly expands capabilities in terms of projects and processes. This is a dynamic, start-up environment that requires an understanding of collaboration, cooperation, and consideration for improving patient care. The successful employee must be able to roll up their sleeves and pivot quickly.
What You'll Do:
- Maintain and monitor facility food safety, sanitation and documentation
- Maintain and monitor production equipment, including calibration and preventative maintenance
- Conduct environmental monitoring and prepare lab samples for 3rd party testing
- Verify quality of incoming materials including raw and packaging material
- Conduct in-process QC testing and QC inspection of manufacturing area, at the beginning of production
- Responsible for the correct recording and filing of all relevant record logs
- Assist with other production documentation and data entry tasks
- Document control and maintain the established food safety and quality management system including procedures and records for good manufacturing practices (GMPs), sanitation programs, and all food safety prerequisite programs
- Document non-conformities and communicate between departments and follow up on corrective and preventive actions
- Assist with training for food safety and quality related subjects
- Assist with QC assay development
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biology, or a related field with 2-3+ years work experience
- Required familiarity with aseptic techniques used in microbiology
- Required familiarity with developing/writing SOPs, documenting and tracking lot numbers and using lab management systems
- Demonstrated ability to work unsupervised and be a fully contributing member of a multi-functional, fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- Experience implementing and prioritizing work across multiple projects under tight time constraints and deadlines
- Familiar with Excel, Word, and Google apps
- Ability to stand for long periods of time in a laboratory setting
- Proactive, honest communicator
- Good familiarity and understanding of food safety
- Familiarity or experience within a food manufacturing environment
- Team player with the ability to collaborate and cooperate with team members
- Detail oriented and highly organized with strong analytical skills
We are a highly collaborative team of scientists, engineers, physicians, marketers, and salespeople interested in improving human health by using the latest research from diverse fields, such as microbiology, molecular biology, high-throughput genomics, distributed computing, pharmaceutical development and nutrition. We believe strongly in employee transparency, collaboration, and communication to enable the most effective and efficient path to team success.
Whole Biome is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We welcome all with disabilities to apply.