San Francisco, CA
Laboratory – Molecular & Research and Development
Whole Biome is on a mission to help people improve physical and mental health by creating a new category of products that target the microbiome. We are researching, developing and commercializing a novel class of rationally-designed Live SynbioticsTM (probiotics + prebiotics) that have demonstrated clinical efficacy to treat conditions like metabolic syndrome, inflammation and neurodegeneration. Whole Biome has created proprietary pipelines to build a unique discovery platform that identifies key, novel bacterial strains and the prebiotics that feed them.
Whole Biome is seeking a Research Associate or Senior Research Associate to join the Molecular R&D and Clinical Assay team. The person will contribute to the Whole Biome mission through execution and development of molecular biology assays and protocols. The ideal candidate will have experience in qPCR, microbiology (especially anaerobic) and NGS library preparation. This position will interact closely with our Computational and Manufacturing teams.
What You'll Do:
- Execute molecular biology experiments and use in-house software tools to consider data, unsupervised
- Support microbiology and molecular biology teams in multiple parallel projects
- Execute assays both in clinical and R&D labs including DNA extraction, (RT-)qPCR assays and NGS library preparations
- Execute anaerobic microbiological growth phenotyping assays using sterile technique
- Prepare and maintain stocks of in-house prepared reagents.
- Work closely with Molecular R&D, Clinical Assay, and Computational teams
- Responsible for personal and co-worker safety
- B.A. in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biology, or related field
- 1-5+ years experience in core facility, industrial molecular or microbiological role
- Familiarity with DNA and RNA extraction, qPCR; familiarity with NGS
- Familiarity with classical microbiology techniques, including culturing of anaerobic bacteria
- Familiarity working closely with Senior Scientists to design, develop and optimize assays
- Comfort (and preferably experience) in handling human samples: stool, skin and blood
- Familiarity with developing/writing SOPs, documenting and tracking lot numbers and using lab management systems
- Belief in transparency and open communication and the ability to use interpersonal relationships to improve and enable those around them
We are a highly collaborative team of scientists, engineers, physicians, marketers, and salespeople interested in improving human health by using the latest research from diverse fields, such as microbiology, molecular biology, high-throughput genomics, distributed computing, pharmaceutical development and nutrition. We believe strongly in employee transparency, collaboration, and communication to enable the most effective and efficient path to team success.
Whole Biome is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We welcome all with disabilities to apply.