Software Engineer (Backend, Coaching Infrastructure)
Boston, MA /
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers members (Olympians, Professional Athletes, Fitness Enthusiasts, etc) to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
As a Software Engineer at WHOOP, you will help us scale out and improve our performance using the latest tools and services on AWS infrastructure. We handle massive amounts of data continuously streaming up to the cloud from everyday people improving their health and wellness to the world's greatest sports teams and athletes mandating a fault-tolerant and highly available system.
On the Coaching Infrastructure team, you'll own the lifecycle of the physiological data at the core of WHOOP's business. Our team builds systems that put cutting-edge physiological research to work in a massive-scale production environment. You'll collaborate with physiology experts, data scientists, and engineers, providing technical and domain expertise around these systems. You'll identify opportunities to scale, improve, or reimagine complex architecture to keep pace with WHOOP's explosive member growth. Your solutions will serve as the foundation for the physiological product features that help our members unlock human performance.
- Communicate effectively with immediate and external team members
- Collaborate with product, software, and data science teams.
- Contribute to backend development using the following technologies: Java, Kafka, Postgres, Cassandra, AWS.
- Lead tactical planning and execution for expanding backend capacity
- Be receptive to feedback from others
- Build testable, predictable, comprehensible systems, following and introducing best practices around testing, monitoring, alerting, and debugging
- Experience with distributed server-side development and associated patterns
- Experience in ingesting data, RESTful APIs
- Willingness to be both a team player and an owner
- A positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
NICE TO HAVES:
- Experience designing tables and writing efficient queries in PostgreSQL and NoSQL
- Direct experience working with AWS Services (EC2, RDS, SQS, S3, etc)
Find out more about us: "WHOOP Software Principles"
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility