Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
Boston, MA /
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers users to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
As a Senior Software Engineer at WHOOP, you will help us scale out and improve our performance using the latest tools and services on AWS infrastructure. We handle massive amounts of data continuously streaming up to the cloud from everyday people improving their health and wellness to the world's greatest sports teams and athletes mandating a fault-tolerant and highly available system.
On the Application Infrastructure team, you will bring large scale real time data to all of WHOOP. The team manages the latest and greatest platforms including application, system, and network level infrastructure. Responsibilities also include developing force multiplier systems and common libraries accelerating development and engineering across all software teams.
The initial focus of this role will be around increasing capacity within our metrics ingestion pipeline. This pipeline is built on top of Kafka & Cassandra but has numerous downstream services that factor into scaling with WHOOP’s explosive member growth.
- Work collaboratively in a business growth environment with a product and technical vision
- Contribute to back end development using the following technologies: Java, Kafka, Postgres, and Cassandra
- Communicate effectively with immediate and external team members
- Be receptive to feedback from others
- Facilitate longer running projects that span multiple teams
- Lead tactical planning and execution for expanding backend capacity
- Significant years of distributed server-side development and associated patterns.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Java, Python, or Go
- Experience in ingesting data, RESTful APIs
- Experience designing tables and writing efficient queries in PostgreSQL and NoSQL
- Extensive working knowledge of tools such as Cassandra and/or Kafka
- Direct experience working with AWS Services (EC2, RDS, Route53, VPC, etc)
- Willingness to be both a team player and an owner
- A positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
- Experience with networking and microservices
- Enthusiasm for the latest and greatest tools and technologies
- Skillset to develop and mentor best practices around managing infrastructure