Android Engineer II (Coaching/Training)
Boston, MA /
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers users (Olympians, Professional Athletes, Fitness Enthusiasts, etc) to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives. We are looking to add highly motivated, skilled engineers to our team to help us scale and take our proven system to new heights.
Coaching at WHOOP designs and builds product features and infrastructure to empower WHOOP’s core mission. The team builds cutting edge user interface and visualization components to help our members optimize their performance.
As an Android Engineer II on the Coaching Training Team, you will build features that enable members to optimize their performance through the lens of WHOOP strain. You will develop features that help members train smarter and better understand the impact of strain. You will participate in the technical direction and influence features alongside product management, design, and members of the data science teams.
- Utilize knowledge of Kotlin and Java to develop and maintain product features
- Work with Product Engineers to devise solutions to challenges across the WHOOP system
- Applying a solid understanding of local storage solutions in order to generate models for cached entities
- Document new features and architecture
- Help groom and ramp-up of other mobile developers while helping the backend team design data contracts
- Analyze and monitor user metrics and feedback to determine crash rate or potential bugs and to improve engagement
- Execute release process including getting the app built, managing build variants, signing, sending and testing through Firebase, and submitting to the Play Store
- Update WHOOP Android app and its dependencies given new operating system updates and form factors from Google Inc and other Android manufacturers, while incorporating material design
- Self organize using Jira and preparing code using Github feature, develop, and master branches
- Product minded engineer with empathy for the customer experience
- Willingness to learn and grow rapidly across Android and external systems
- Experience in building, testing, debugging, and delivering Android apps in a professional environment
- Experience with Kotlin and Java frameworks such as Koin, Location Services, RoomDB, RxAndroid
- Experience developing libraries/frameworks and tooling that is used by other developers
- Excellent knowledge of Android Studio, CI like Bitrise, gradle, and debug tooling
- Experience communicating with a RESTful backend
- Experience using best-practice mobile architecture and modular design, including patterns such as MVVM
- Competency in multi-threading, coroutines, and experience with performance and memory profiling
- Knowledge of Activity Hierarchy, Lifecycle and Android Design Guidelines
- Firm belief that automated testing is important and experience writing both Unit and UI tests
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility