Senior Android Engineer (Growth)
Boston, MA /
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers members (Olympians, Professional Athletes, Fitness Enthusiasts, etc) to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives. We are looking to add highly motivated, skilled engineers to our team to help us scale and take our proven system to new heights.
The Growth Team at WHOOP is responsible for increasing WHOOP’s reach, acquiring new members, and allowing members to get the most value out of their subscriptions. We take a very data-driven approach to everything we do, meaning we frequently measure the performance of our features and make iterations based on those results.
As a Senior Android Engineer at WHOOP, you will own the development of our Android growth stack. The WHOOP Android app currently has limited functionality relating to Growth. We are looking for a developer to come in and make an impact by establishing features and functionality relating to our core goals. As an Android developer you will work closely with the backend developers on the Growth team to solve unique challenges relating but not limited to payment processing and subscription management. You’ll also work closely with the Product team on taking designs and mockups and translating them into production features.
- Working with Product Engineers to devise solutions to challenges across the WHOOP system
- Build software that allows users to maximize the value of their WHOOP subscriptions
- Build software flows that enable users to share/purchase WHOOP for others
- Contribute to a unified ecommerce ecosystem where users can discover WHOOP products
- Creating and updating tasks based on progress for integration testing and documentation
- Documenting new features and architecture
- Grooming and mentoring other mobile developers while helping the backend team design data contracts
- Analyzing user metrics and feedback to help set the direction of the Growth team
- Beginning and finishing the release process from getting the app built, managing build variants, signing, sending and testing through Firebase, and submitting to the Play Store
- Updating WHOOP Android app and its dependencies given new operating system updates and form factors from Google Inc and other Android manufacturers, while incorporating material design
- Self organize using Jira and preparing code using Github feature, develop, and master branches
- Product minded engineer with empathy for the customer experience
- Willingness to learn and grow rapidly across Android and external systems
- Experience in building, testing, debugging, and delivering Android apps in a professional environment
- Experience with Kotlin and Java frameworks such as Koin, Location Services, RoomDB, RxAndroid
- Experience developing libraries/frameworks and tooling that is used by other developers
- Excellent knowledge of Android Studio, CI like Bitrise, gradle, and debug tooling
- Experience communicating with a RESTful backend Experience using best-practice mobile architecture and modular design, including patterns such as MVVM
- Competency in multi-threading, coroutines, and experience with performance and memory profiling
- Knowledge of Activity Hierarchy, Lifecycle and Android Design Guidelines
- Firm belief that automated testing is important and experience writing both Unit and UI tests
- (Nice to have) Knowledge of payment processing and/or ecommerce integrations such as Stripe and Shopify
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility