Director of Mechanical Engineering
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers its members to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
As a Director of Mechanical Engineering at WHOOP, you will play a key role across advanced development, NPI and sustaining activities for all physical products in the company’s offering. You will work closely with Electrical, Firmware, Industrial Design, Signal Processing, Manufacturing and Supply Chain teams from early concept research to ramping high volume production with a contract manufacturer and sustaining activities. The ideal candidate has a proven track record leading mechanical engineers across all stages of the product development lifecycle in a fast paced startup environment.
This role reports to the Chief Hardware Engineer.
- Lead product design, analysis and development of mechanical components around microelectronics from design concept to manufacturing release.
- Exhibit thorough engineering analysis and project ownership, while mentoring colleagues on engineering best practices, schedule development and validation plans.
- Partner with internal teams as well as vendors to ensure a smooth product launch
- Implement documentation updates and changes to products. Document designs, bill of materials, engineering change orders, build plans, validation efforts, results and present them to stakeholders and team members.
- Up to 15% travel to manufacturing partners and suppliers
- 10+ years of experience in the design and release of complex mechanical products for high volume consumer electronics
- 5+ years leading a team of mechanical engineers across advanced development, NPI and sustaining activities to bring products to life.
- 5+ years SolidWorks CAD experience with best practices for part design, advanced assemblies, complex configuration management and integrating DFX feedback
- Extensive experience in mechanical design concepts and the manufacture of products utilizing high volume, automated manufacturing processes as well as manual assembly
- Well-versed in design, prototyping, and evaluation of advanced injection molded plastic components, metal stamping, die castings, metal injection molding, packaging, and material selection.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills: identifying issues, root cause analysis, brainstorming solutions, implementation and validation
- Excellent communication skills to relay plans to contract manufacturers and suppliers
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility.