Senior RF Systems Engineer
Boston, MA /
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers members to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
As a Senior RF Systems Engineer at WHOOP, you will work with the Electrical, Mechanical, Firmware, and Manufacturing teams on developing and supporting cutting edge wearable technologies. You will own all wireless features in the product, including, but not limited to, wireless power/data transmission, antenna design, system integration, and RF performance. You will regularly interface with internal engineering teams, external vendors and suppliers, testing and certification bodies, and contract manufacturers (CMs) to deliver exceptional product performance, safety, and reliability. You are deeply familiar with RF concepts and best practices and have the vocabulary and communication skills to work with a diverse cross functional team.
- Lead the development, integration, and validation of wireless power/data transmission, wireless communication, and other RF subsystems
- Hands-on analysis, validation, and debugging using lab equipment including spectrum analyzers, impedance analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Circuit simulation and mathematical analysis using SPICE, Matlab, or similar tools
- Define RF hardware test requirements and design test systems for in-house performance evaluation as well as production manufacturing test
- Schematic capture and PCB layout of electrical circuits using tools such as Altium
- Electrical, electromechanical, and RF component selection
- Work with diverse cross-functional teams to validate hardware features, improve device performance, and provide support
- Support research and development of next generation features, technologies, and manufacturing techniques
- Travel up to 15%, domestically and internationally
- BS or greater in Electrical Engineering or related field
- 6+ years experience in relevant fields
- Experience with system design, antenna design, and RF desense for Bluetooth, WiFi, and GNSS applications
- Familiarity and/or design experience with wireless power transmission standards such as NFC and Qi
- Experience with simulation software such as SPICE, HFSS, CST, or similar
- Extensive RF and electrical engineering skills including familiarity with circuit design, component fundamentals, power supply design, layout, digital communication protocols, manufacturing techniques, and debug
- Lab experience including soldering and the use of multimeters, oscilloscopes, RF analyzers, etc.
- Familiarity with ECAD tools such as Altium and PLM tools like Arena
- Experience in designing and developing consumer electronics at scale