Senior Electrical Engineer
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers members to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
As a Senior Electrical Engineer, you will work within the Electrical team in cooperation with Mechanical, Embedded, Manufacturing, Program Management, Product Management, Field Quality, and Supply Chain teams on supporting a large fleet of cutting edge wearables. WHOOP delivers a premium experience and engineers are empowered to design products that have best-in-class performance, have high yields, and are cost-effective. You will interface directly with suppliers and top-tier contract manufacturers (CMs) to drive the continuous improvement of designs in high volume mass production. You are deeply familiar with electrical concepts and best practices, you are quality minded, and you have the deep vocabulary required to work with mechanical engineers, firmware engineers, suppliers, operators, and technicians.
- Own technical development on electrical projects, including building electrical specifications and executing program plans to deliver production-ready hardware
- Work directly on schematic and layout changes, implement DFM and DFA feedback, and collaborate with CMs and suppliers located across the globe to test, validate, and verify key performance metrics
- Drive the efforts to identify, design, and execute design updates that result in performance improvements, yield increases, and cost reductions
- Support Manufacturing and Supply Chain teams in improving yield and quality by developing and maintaining partnerships with CMs and third party vendors, identifying and qualifying suppliers, developing functional tests and experimental trials, evaluating component alternates, supporting validation builds, and performing technical analyses
- Own hands-on debugging and failure analysis of returned units and manufacturing test failures to identify root cause, execute corrective actions, drive quality and yield improvements
- Generate engineering change orders (ECOs), develop and document standard operating procedures (SOPs), and help maintain product lifecycle management (PLM) databases
- Prototyping, debugging, and analysis using standard lab equipment and techniques
- Schematic capture and PCB layout of electrical circuits for mass production using CAD and simulation tools such as Altium and SPICE
- Up to 15% travel domestically and internationally to contract manufacturers, partners, and suppliers
- BS or greater in Electrical Engineering or related field
- 6+ years experience in relevant fields
- Extensive electrical engineering skills including a deep familiarity with circuit design, component fundamentals, analog design considerations, power supply design, RF layout, and digital communication protocols
- Lab experience including soldering and the use of multimeters, oscilloscopes, SMUs, RF analyzers, etc.
- Experience with ECAD tools such as Altium and PLM tools like Arena
- Desired: First hand experience with international CMs and suppliers, product development, designing for manufacturing/assembly/test, and technical project management
- Desired: Extensive experience in manufacturing processes, automated test, and debug of sophisticated systems in production at high volumes, especially battery-powered consumer electronics and/or biomedical sensors such as ECG, PPG, SpO₂, GSR, etc
- Desired: Familiarity with regulatory emissions, safety, and design/manufacturing standards such as FCC 47 CFR Part 15, IEC 62368-1, IEC 62471, IPC-2221, IPC-6013, and IPC-2223. Additional exposure to medical device standards such as IEC 60601-1 and IEC 60601-2-47 preferred
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility.