Staff Mechanical Engineer
Boston, MA /
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers its members to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
As a Staff Mechanical Engineer at WHOOP, you will play a key role in defining system requirements and taking highly refined industrial design concepts through an accelerated product development cycle, and parallel manufacturing release with our manufacturing partners. The ideal candidate is capable of both product development and transfer to manufacturing for a high volume consumer electronics product developed in a fast paced start-up environment.
- Lead product design, analysis and development of mechanical components around microelectronics from design concept to manufacturing release.
- Exhibit thorough engineering analysis and project ownership, while mentoring colleagues on engineering best practices, schedule development and validation plans.
- Partner with Electrical, Firmware, Signal Processing, Operations, Manufacturing, Supply Chain and Quality teams as well as vendors to ensure a smooth launch
- Implement documentation updates and changes to products. Document designs, bill of materials, engineering change orders, build plans, validation efforts, results and present them to stakeholders and team members.
- Up to 15% travel to manufacturing partners and suppliers
- 10+ years of experience in the design and release of complex mechanical products for high volume consumer electronics
- 5+ years SolidWorks CAD experience with best practices for part design, advanced assemblies, complex configuration management and integrating DFX feedback
- 5+ years working with manufacturing to bring products to life
- Extensive experience in mechanical design concepts and the manufacture of products utilizing high volume, automated manufacturing processes as well as manual assembly
- Well-versed in design, prototyping, and evaluation of advanced injection molded plastic components, metal stamping, die castings, metal injection molding, packaging, and material selection
- Demonstrated problem solving skills: identifying issues, root cause analysis, brainstorming solutions, implementation and validation
- Proven ability to craft simple proof-of-concept models and perform validation testing on them
- Excellent communication skills to relay plans to contract manufacturers and suppliers
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.