Machine Learning Engineer
Seattle, WA /
At WhyLabs, we’re on a mission to build an interface between AI applications and human operators. WhyLabs started at the Allen Institute for AI (AI2), a fundamental research institute as an Observability Platform for making AI robust and reliable. From deploying in some of the world’s largest and most sophisticated tech organizations, to empowering individual data scientists and AI practitioners — we’ve seen firsthand how our tools for model and data health democratize and accelerate AI in the real world.
Success at WhyLabs relies on combining outstanding engineers and product designers, with best-in-class technologies to build a product that’s loved by both customers and open source users. Our team is responsible for scaling data pipelines, developing elegant and intuitive interfaces, employing state-of-the-art ML modeling techniques, and leveraging best practices for seamless deployment.
Why work with us?
This is a rare opportunity to be part of something unique, where your contributions will make a huge impact to both WhyLabs customers and the entire company. At WhyLabs, we are defining the AI Observability category with an exceptional product. Every person who joins the team is jumping onto a rocket ship, and will play a huge part in helping us get to the destination. What’s more, you’ll be working with a talented team who have a track record of building successful products at companies like Cloudflare, Lyft, Stripe, Amazon, and Microsoft. We’re solving technical and complex problems, and we’re doing it at scale.
As a Machine Learning Engineer and an early member of this team, you will:
- Have the unique opportunity to help build the Why Labs Research & Development team, you will play a big role in establishing the engineering and data science culture, process, as well as best practices
- Work closely with the CEO to help define the technical roadmap of the platform
- Play a key role in developing open source libraries that establish the standard of data logging/profiling for unstructured data
- Play a critical role in architecting, developing, and scaling the data profiling, monitoring and anomaly detection components of the core product
- Participate in customer development meetings to build a deep understanding of customer needs and requirements
- Participate in the team building process by helping source, interview and mentor new members of the team
- Introduce new technologies and internal tools to help us build features faster
- 5+ years of engineering experience building machine learning based applications and large scale data pipelines
- Experience with OSS Python frameworks (MLFlow, Airflow, Dask, Ray)
- Strong knowledge of Python and experience with C/C++
- Experience building enterprise applications on top of cloud services (AWS, GCP or Azure)
- Experience with ML deployment technologies (SageMaker, MLFlow, Airflow)
- Understands data structures and algorithms at a level sufficient to write performant code when working with large datasets or large incoming data streams.
- Passion for writing clean, concise, well-organized code
- Hands-on experience in Computer Vision, Perception or Computer Graphics projects.
- Experience with unit testing and integration testing for deploying production software
- You worked on machine learning applications or machine learning tools in a commercial setting.
- You have a graduate degree in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics or a related technical field.
- You led development or actively contributed to a major open source project.
- You have experience working at a startup and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- You have experience in Java, Kotlin, Scala, GoLang, or Rust.
Be Your Best At WhyLabs
At WhyLabs, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to build the interface between humans and AI applications. As teams across industries adopt AI, WhyLabs enables them to operate with certainty by streamlining model monitoring, preventing costly model failures, and facilitating cross-functional collaboration. We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. At WhyLabs, we actively work to create an environment that values end-to-end ownership, diverse forms of impact, and opportunities for personal growth. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. Learn more about us at www.whylabs.ai.
At WhyLabs, you’ll be supported by an amazing team and an amazing set of benefits. We offer comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for employees and their families. You’ll enjoy four weeks of vacation each year and our matching 401k program lets employees plan for their future.
WhyLabs is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. WhyLabs embraces diversity and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. WhyLabs prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, performance, merit, and business need.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
This role is US-based in Seattle, with the option to work remotely #LI-Remote.