Senior Engineer (Personal Finance Stealth Venture)
New York Area or East Coast /
Wilbur Labs – Engineering /
About the Company
This is an exciting new stealth venture in the personal finance space that matches individuals with active needs to advisors who can help them solve immediate problems and build a path toward achieving long-term goals. We work directly with top-tier financial professionals to provide financial guidance and answer questions for those in need.
This venture was ideated and developed within Wilbur Labs, a San Francisco-based startup studio.
About This Role
We are looking for a proven engineering leader to join our new high-growth business venture as our Senior Engineer, responsible for user-facing applications and backend services. You will step into a central role, working alongside company leadership to design, build, and scale a platform to become the best place for consumers to find a financial advisor to help them with their personal financial needs.
In this role, as the sole full-time Senior engineer, your primary objective will be to actively participate in the development and implementation of code solutions for an efficient consumer-centric site by leveraging your technical expertise and contract engineering resources. You will be responsible for outlining engineering requirements for a fast, high-traffic consumer website, as well as infrastructure, data, and other requirements for future business services. As the business scales, you will have the opportunity to build and expand a talented team to support the delivery of products that connect consumers with their respective needs.
This is a unique opportunity to join a well-funded new venture as an early team member, build in collaboration with the CEO, Head of Product, and the Wilbur Labs studio team, and define and execute the long-term engineering vision. It is perfect for an experienced engineering leader who wants to help build a world-class engineering organization from the ground up.
This is a full-time, remote position (with a preference for New York Area or East Coast)
Role & Responsibilities
- Oversee and contribute to all aspects of engineering and design solutions for all parts of the business where software is needed: backend, frontend, back office, data warehousing, and reporting
- Execute and lead the design and architecture of scalable and reliable software systems
- Champion the adoption of best practices, industry standards, and emerging technologies to continuously improve our technical solutions, including code reviews, automated testing, and performance optimization
- Drive a culture of quality and excellence in engineering practices
- Understand business needs and create tools to solve them effectively
- Maintain and improve an existing codebase
- Follow security best practices to ensure a secure information data pipeline
- Manage a team of contractors to augment your own contributions
- Uphold high standards and clear documentation for systems design, code quality, and visual aesthetics
- Manage engineering costs for both personnel and infrastructure
- Collaborate across departments, including growth, product, and other teams, to create and execute a comprehensive technological roadmap
- 5+ years of experience as a full-stack software engineer
- 3+ years of experience managing other engineers
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally with product teams, other engineers, etc., to deliver high-performing user experiences
- Deep understanding of the entire engineering stack, from databases to UI
- Experience with TypeScript, Next.js, React, Node.js, and PostgreSQL or equivalent technologies
- Experience with Google Cloud or an equivalent cloud services platform
- Ability to effectively communicate across different disciplines
- Ability to write clear documentation and create best-practice guidelines
- Experience operating at both strategic and tactical levels on a daily basis
Preferred Qualifications & Prior Experience
- Prior experience at a startup, fintech, or other high-traffic consumer sites
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary + equity
- Top-tier laptop and accessories provided
- Work From Home Equipment Stipend