Entrepreneur In Residence / Co-Founder - Rental Housing
San Francisco, CA or Remote /
Wilbur Labs – Entrepreneur In Residence /
About Wilbur Labs
Wilbur Labs is a startup studio turning bold ideas into market-leading companies. We identify big customer pain points and build businesses to solve these problems. We then work with the founding team to manage the company and continue to provide funding, shared resources, expertise, and operational support to enable management to focus on solving problems that matter to users. Since 2016, we have built and invested in 16 companies including VacationRenter, which surpassed $1 Billion in gross booking value only 2 years after launch and was named one of 2020’s 100 fastest growing websites worldwide by SimilarWeb.
About This Role
Searching for a home or apartment rental is a tedious and stressful experience for renters. Similarly, property managers face technologically antiquated, expensive, and redundant processes when it comes to listing properties, marketing, and securing renters’ leads. We want to change this by building a solution that improves the experience for renters while increasing the return and efficiency for the Property.
Wilbur Labs is looking to hire an Entrepreneur In Residence to refine a go-to-market strategy and launch a new venture to transform the online rental housing shopping and property listing experience. This is a unique opportunity to join a well-funded new venture on the ground floor as a founder, build alongside the Wilbur Labs studio team, and pursue your passion of how to solve major pain points that exist in the rental housing industry.
In this role, you will first identify the optimal market entry point for a new venture by leveraging your own past experience, background research performed at Wilbur Labs, and in-house expertise. Prior to launch, you will refine the GTM strategy, finalize financial models, and lead team-building. Post-launch, you will drive growth and operational excellence of the new venture through management of sales, partnerships, marketing, and product development. You will collaborate with existing advisors and the Wilbur Labs team, who will provide additional support throughout this process. This is the perfect role for an experienced founder or early startup leader with deep expertise in multifamily housing or property management and a passion for taking companies from 0-1.
This position is based in San Francisco, but remote will be considered.
Role & Responsibilities
- Conduct independent research, including competitive landscape, market sizing, financial modeling, and projecting customer/consumer acquisition
- Translate research and customer insights into an actionable go-to-market strategy
- Refine a financial model and projections in support of the go-to-market strategy
- Own core business operations, including P&L management, growth, legal compliance, and product & team development, to ensure product-market-fit
- Manage and lead large scale projects such as website development, public launch, and other business-critical initiatives
- Assist with identifying, forecasting, and implementing tools/technology to automate business operations
- Build a world-class team environment and culture while assisting with hiring, training, and other general management
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Finance, Business, Marketing, or a related field
- 7+ years of experience working in residential rentals or the multifamily housing sector
- Previous startup experience
- A self-starter, with excellent attention to detail and a drive to succeed
- Able to work cross-functionally with product & engineering teams
- A passion for solving complex problems specific to the multifamily housing industry
Preferred Qualifications & Prior Experience
- Prior founder or leadership experience at an early-stage company
- Demonstrated experience building operational processes and teams
- Experience with P&L ownership and management
- Experience in both B2C and B2B marketing, sales, and operations