Remote (Austin, TX or Dallas, TX)
VacationRenter – Engineering /
VacationRenter is the fastest-growing vacation rental search engine. We love vacation rentals but not how time-consuming and complex it can be to find the right one. So, we reimagined a better way. We eliminated the need to search across several different sites and scroll through pages of irrelevant results just to find the perfect home away from home. We bring all the rental options from the leading travel sites together in one place and showcase only the best results.
VacationRenter was founded in 2018. The company recently announced driving over $1 billion in 2020 gross bookings only two years after launch, making it the fastest-growing travel company, ever. It’s also one of the fastest-growing websites, across any industry – SimilarWeb named the company one of the 100 fastest growing websites of the year in 2020.
VacationRenter was born inside Wilbur Labs, a San Francisco-based startup studio. Founded by ex-Googlers, VacationRenter uses automation and AI to help travelers find the perfect vacation rental.
About This Role
VacationRenter is actively seeking a talented Backend Engineer to join our engineering organization, playing a critical role in advancing our Data Engineering capabilities with a specific focus on Business Intelligence (BI) integration and advanced modeling. We believe that robust Data Engineering is underpinned by strong Software Engineering fundamentals, and we are on the lookout for an individual passionate about both disciplines. As a Backend Engineer at VacationRenter, you will be at the forefront of shaping the future of our Data Engineering teams, frameworks, and processes. If you are committed to delivering exceptional work and are continuously seeking ways to enhance the systems you work on, we are eager to connect with you.
This position reports directly to the Head of Engineering.
While Austin or Dallas is preferred, we are open to considering candidates for remote work from other US locations.
Role & Responsibilities
- Work closely with leadership, product, and engineering, to design, architect, and implement new features
- Lead data engineering projects to ensure pipelines are reliable, efficient, testable, & maintainable
- Analyze and organize raw data
- Build the infrastructure required for the optimal extraction, transformation and loading of data from wide variety of data sources using node.js
- Identify, design and implement process and platform improvements
- Work closely with engineers to troubleshoot and resolve data quality issues
- Coordinate with backend developers and business stakeholders to improve and maintain data and business intelligence infrastructure
- Facilitate business intelligence initiatives by actively contributing to tasks such as creating and maintaining dashboards, executing ad-hoc data pulls, troubleshooting business Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and more
- Pioneering new initiatives involving advanced modeling, specifically incorporating machine-learning algorithms to enhance sorting capabilities for our search results page
- 3+ years of relevant working experience
- Good level skills writing and optimizing complex SQL queries
- Experience with Node.js, and PostgreSQL or roughly equivalent technologies
- Experience with data warehouse such as BigQuery and other GCP components
- Experience collaborating with BI teams and integrating advanced modeling techniques into backend processes
- Applied experience executing analysis, communicating results and developing metrics that matter
- Experience in advanced modeling, ideally some experience building ML systems
- Ability to communicate clearly in reports and documentation
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment