San Francisco or Denver /
As a Backend Engineer on our application team at Windfall, you will be building the system for ingesting and processing our customer data. It is the “brains” of everything our customers interact with. Communication and collaboration are at the heart of Windfall and you will work closely with our product and our other engineering teams. You will personally design and build a scalable distributed system capable of supporting Windfall’s next phase of growth. At our offices in San Francisco and Denver, you’ll be working in close proximity to senior leadership that can provide you with a wealth of technical, product, and business knowledge to help you grow your career.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Windfall values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “bonus” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Windfall. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table.
We’re on a mission to change how organizations perceive and use people data. And we hold true to our core values of: (1) Be an excellent communicator; (2) Operate with transparency; (3) Provide leverage, not optimization; (4) Make a difference every day; and (5) Act with integrity and trust.
What you will do
- Architect and build distributed services which will power Windfall’s customer facing applications
- Plan for scale in building solutions for today that will also set us up for future success and growth
- Work closely with other backend, frontend, and data engineers to build a seamless product for our customers
- Drive technical design, specifications, and implementation for our various backend services
Some technologies you will use
- Cloud platform - GCP
- Programming languages - Java, Kotlin, Python
- Web frameworks - Spring Boot, Flask
- Messaging system - Google PubSub
- Data warehouse & databases - Postgres, BigQuery
- Kubernetes & Docker
- 1-4 years of experience
- Willingness to work onsite in either San Francisco or Denver offices
- Expert object-oriented programming understanding
- Experience using transactional databases
- Experience building distributed systems
- Understanding of web development & frontend communication
- You communicate as well as you code
- You can simplify complex problems into simple solutions
- You balance a strong sense of ownership and responsibility in your work with collaboration and team alignment
- You are comfortable making trade-offs between quality, complexity, and speed-of-delivery
Things that will differentiate you
- Proven experience taking a large project from ideation to production
- Experience with greenfield projects
- Past surface knowledge of databases, data warehouses, distributed computing frameworks, etc. for optimization and leveraging correct technologies
- Working knowledge of cloud-native data engineering infrastructure
The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across California and Colorado. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, which you can explore on our careers site.
California: Salary range is $95k-$225k
Colorado: Salary range is $95k-$190k
Windfall is a people intelligence and AI company that gives go-to-market teams actionable insights. By democratizing access to people data, organizations can intelligently prioritize go-to-market resources to drive greater business outcomes. Powered by best-in-class machine learning and propensity modeling, Windfall activates insights into workflows that engage the right people for each respective organization. More than 800 data-driven organizations use Windfall to power their business.
We comply with CCPA. For more information on how we comply, review our privacy notice.