Wintermute is a hyper-growth fintech startup and one of the largest players in the global digital asset markets. We provide liquidity algorithmically across most cryptocurrency exchanges and trading platforms, as well as support high profile blockchain projects and traditional financial institutions moving into crypto.
Culturally, we combine the best traits of both trading companies and technology startups. As a trading company, we manage hundreds of millions in assets, trade more than $5B+/day across dozens of trading platforms and are highly profitable in doing so. As a technology startup, we build, innovate and move incredibly fast, we create best-in-class liquidity products that create more efficient markets. We believe that traditional finance has to change and we are on a mission to define and build the decentralized future of finance.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable proprietary trading business. We are backed by top tier global venture capital investors such as Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and others. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Marketing at Wintermute
Marketing will be a new function in the COO office of Wintermute tasked with scaling the company to its next very ambitious milestones.
Marketing focus is primarily B2B – our trading products are offered to various counterparties in crypto and in traditional finance. We are also building employer marketing capability to raise the awareness of Wintermute as a place for top talent in finance and crypto. Additionally, you will work on completely greenfield innovative projects relating to potential new business launches.
The role will be varied and will cover various aspects of marketing globally, such as marketing strategy and planning, branding, awareness, product marketing, social media marketing, ABM, content marketing, events, sponsorships, partnerships and others.
You will be co-designing, owning and implementing strategic marketing initiatives as well as building the core marketing functions for scale. Expect to be very practical and hand-on!
It is an incredibly unique opportunity to be part of the startup that has already become a market leader in its category, achieved commercial success and is yet small enough (in terms of headcount), so you can make a big difference!
Note: this role is not about building a marketing ‘department” or outsourcing everything to agencies. Just like everyone else in the company, you will focus on doing whatever needs to be done to build the company. It is both a very strategic and operational role, where you get to both design the strategy and implement it.
- Marketing strategy and planning: design marketing strategy and operational plan for each product across all relevant channels based on deep understanding of the business, product and relevant marketing strategies
- Execution of marketing plan: own the execution of all marketing activities, including adjusting the plan as required, hands-on execution and working with internal and external teams
- Content marketing and social media: work with various teams to produce high quality content and distribute it effectively across relevant channels (Medium, Twitter, LinkedIn, Discord, etc)
- ABM and targeted campaigns: work closely with product and business development to design and execute effective events and campaigns for high quality lead generation
- Conferences and events: organize targeted events for existing and potential counterparties as well as for recruitment efforts
- PR and media: develop communication strategy and relationships with media, support the team in getting speaker invitations, targeted media coverage, etc
- Reporting & analytics: build fact-base to be able monitor and report results of all activities
- Ad hoc: high-level strategic and operational projects, can range from creating a marketing plan for a completely new business to creating a strategy for a specific region (e.g. Asia), to some smaller projects
Hard Skills Requirements
- At least 5-7 years experience in a high-performance marketing function, e.g., VC-backed startup, fintech company, B2B SaaS, dynamic financial services company
- Track record of creating tangible impact on key metrics, be ready to give examples
- Experience with B2B marketing in high-value deal/ACV environment is required; experience with finance, fintech or crypto is a significant advantage but not a requirement
- In-depth understanding of at least several functional areas listed above and familiarity/general understanding of others; ability to learn new functional areas quickly and independently
- Ability and interest to learn about crypto, financial products and technologies quickly and independently
- Have an owner mentality: you focus on the ultimate result for the company (short and long-term growth)
- Able to understand the bigger picture and be very hands-on and practical;
- Flexibility to find the right approaches for each product, company, situation, not only copy paste what was seen before
- Fact-based approach to marketing
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard, take feedback and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset versus working 9-to-5 mentality; prepared to work non-standard working hours if required (since we are a high-growth startup operating in 24/7 crypto world)
- Like working in the team collaborative environment (not fully remote), at least half-time working from our office
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would take 5 years longer to get in other startups of similar scale or in financial institutions
- A unique opportunity to join one of the strongest and highest potential crypto startups globally, one with is already commercially successful, yet is small enough to have significant impact and upside
- Great culture: highly professional and ambitious, yet informal, friendly, non-hierarchical, collaborative and entrepreneurial
- A cool office in central London with a sci-fi touch
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and gaming sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what many of us like to do
- Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive fixed compensation you get significant performance-based variable pay
Tips for Successful Application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and this space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job" or pursues purely mercenary objectives
- Do your research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in Wintermute generally and your specific role in particular
- Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions. If you don't have some obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant/transferable
- Prepare to be asked specific questions about your past projects (including the ones in CV) and our hard skills requirements
- Prepare to demonstrate “Other requirements”
- Do your basic homework on crypto markets and what hft/market making/algo trading is
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort into making the application relevant!