Graduate Software Developer - DeFi - 2022
Wintermute is one of the largest algorithmic trading firms in digital assets globally. We manage hundreds of millions in assets and trade more than $5B+/day across dozens of different trading platforms. Culturally, we combine 1) the highest standards of technological and trading sophistication from traditional financial markets and 2) technology startup nature, as we are moving very fast and empowering people to act like owners.
Wintermute provides liquidity algorithmically across most vested exchanges in crypto, across CeFi and DeFi, on-screen and OTC, as well as supports high profile blockchain projects. At Wintermute, we believe in the decentralization of finance and we believe that trading companies of the future are technology companies, not financial services providers.
In DeFi, Wintermute is known to be one of the largest algorithmic traders in DeFi. We support all major DEX, trading platforms, AMMs and we work with most major chains. Wintermute is an official market maker for many prominent blockchain projects and we actively support the DeFi ecosystem by investing in early stage projects, helping them kick-start and maintain liquidity and collaborating/co-creating products with promising projects.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable proprietary trading business. We are backed by Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and other top tier investors. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Working at Wintermute
We are looking for a Graduate Software Developer in DeFi with strong fundamental background in coding and curiosity about DeFi, HFT, market making and crypto trading. At Wintermute, you will be responsible for integrating new protocols right from the start. You will have the opportunity to get a deeper understanding of how various DEX’s trade and be responsible for optimising the execution on those venues, whilst also getting advice and guidance from very experienced developers and traders, including the founders/management team. You will get a lot of independence and responsibility right away, and you'll learn at an unprecedented speed! No legacy systems, no corporate bureaucracy, no multiple levels of approvals. It is up to you to make an impact. You will act like an owner and your incentives will be completely aligned with those of the company!
What you will work on
A great advantage of this position is that it is varied, and it is also up to you to shape it in the direction that matches your talents and company needs. You will have the opportunity to help integrate DEX’s on chains; includes but not limited to: 1) Improving trading signals for various protocols 2) Improving execution logic to maximise PnL 3) Troubleshooting trades/failed execution to get a deep understanding of the protocol and improve the trading setup.
Hard skills requirements
- Familiar with at least two of the following programming languages (in Python, Rust, Java, C++)
- Curiosity in the DeFi space proven by doing extra-curricular project/work/research in this space (CeFi trading does not count!)
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Understanding concepts of asynchronous IO
- Familiarity with Linux/git
- Trading knowledge isn’t required but willingness and curiosity to learn algorithmic, high-frequency, quantitative, market making trading and blockchain fundamentals is crucial
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would be unlikely at any other project or DeFi trading firm
- A unique opportunity to join one of the strongest and most successful DeFi teams globally
- With Wintermute you don’t make a bet on a single product, platform, chain or technology; we’ll win if DeFi wins as a whole
- Great company culture: informal, non-hierarchical, ambitious, highly professional yet collaborative and entrepreneurial
- A cool office in central London with a sci-fi touch
- We support significant flexibility in regards to working from home and working hours; however, we require hard/smart work and >60% work from the office; we are unable to accept remote candidates
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
- Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive pay, a significant part of your compensation is performance-based variable pay with unlimited upside
- We offer standard perks too, like pension, private health insurance, free food and office gym, but that’s probably not the right reason to join us
- We offer UK work permits and help in relocation
Write to us if you
- Love coding, love problem solving, and love seeing your products work
- Love building things
- Curious about algorithmic trading and financial markets
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Like working like an owner, prepared to work somewhat non-standard hours as crypto is 24/7/365
Tips for a successful application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and DeFi space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job"
- This is a London based role
- Do some research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in DeFi in general and in Wintermute in particular. Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions!
- If you don't have an obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant.
- Prepare to be tested on your hard skills required for this job. We do not care as much about your credentials (university or prior employer), but we care a lot about your knowledge and ability to get things done.
- Unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort in making the application relevant!