Senior Finance Analyst
Wintermute is a hyper-growth fintech startup and one of the largest players in the global digital asset markets. We provide liquidity algorithmically across most cryptocurrency exchanges and trading platforms, as well as support high profile blockchain projects and traditional financial institutions moving into crypto.
Culturally, we combine the best traits of both trading companies and technology startups. As a trading company, we manage hundreds of millions in assets, trade more than $5B+/day across dozens of trading platforms and are highly profitable in doing so. As a technology startup, we build, innovate and move incredibly fast, we create best-in-class liquidity products that create more efficient markets. We believe that traditional finance has to change and we are on a mission to define and build the decentralized future of finance.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable proprietary trading business. We are backed by top tier global venture capital investors such as Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and others. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Working at Wintermute
We are looking for a Senior Finance Analyst who is looking to bring their functional expertise together with some scripting skills to the exciting and innovative blockchain industry. At Wintermute, you will be responsible for building high-performing Accounting and Financial Controlling functions. You will have an opportunity to design and shape this function, create best-in-class processes and tools, while also getting advice and guidance from multi-functional teams. You will get a lot of independence and responsibility right away, and you'll learn at an unprecedented speed! No legacy systems, no corporate bureaucracy, yet highest standards of compliance and business ethics. It is up to you to make an impact! Building a robust, automated and scalable finance function is strategically important to Wintermute. You will report directly to the Head of Finance and will work with the Financial Controller, other management teams and senior members of the Wintermute team. You will be joining one of the fastest growing startups in one of the most dynamic industries out there, so the role is going to be very dynamic and quite varied. You will have to understand the big picture of our plan, build things fast and be prepared to be very hands-on as needed. The role will be varied, but the key projects are highlighted below.
What will you work on
- Help build an automated and scalable internal accounting function that produces accurate monthly Management Reports within 5 days of the end of the month.
- Optimize and automate all reconciliations of revenue, expenses, assets, liabilities and equity
- Establish and automate the group consolidation and netting processes
- Drive automation in all areas. Work with the middle office team, developers and trading teams on enriching trading data and automating the data feeds into the ledger
- Project management - Help with the implementation of the new finance ledger system, build relevant integrations and work on migrating financial data to the new system
- Build a robust and scalable budgeting and forecasting model
- Help with the annual group audits
- Take ownership of and improve/automate payment of invoices and expenses management
- Look for ways to optimize relevant expenses and accounting treatments of various financial instruments
- Financial Planning and Analysis: Design and automate reporting, both internal management reporting and external reporting to partners, investors, authorities, etc.
- Direct and indirect tax computations and reporting
- Automate corporate bank reconciliation processes
Hard Skills Requirements
- BSc in Accounting, Finance or other relevant field with a significant quantitative element
- Recognized accounting qualification such as ACCA, ACA or CIMA
- At least 3 years experience in a high-performance environment; experience working in trading companies/hedge funds or similar would be an advantage
- Advanced Excel and modelling skills
- Experience with the best-in-class automation systems and functions where scalability is driven by technology, rather than headcount and manual work
- Experience (or own research and interest) with accounting treatment of various financial instruments (derivatives, investments, etc.) and crypto assets would be an advantage
- Have an owner mentality: you focus on the ultimate result for the company (short and long-term growth, capital and cost optimization)
- Problem solving mentality: to assess, measure and analyse problems, define a relevant solution (incl. automation), review and test before implementation
- Experience in direct and indirect tax would be an advantage
- Demonstrable Python and SQL skills would be an advantage
- Able to understand the bigger picture and be very hands-on and practical. Love seeing the tangible results of you work
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard, take feedback and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Like working in the team collaborative environment, ideally more than 60% of the time working from our London office
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would take 5-10 years longer to get in a traditional trading company/bank/hedge fund
- A unique opportunity to join a high growth startup and one of the strongest and highest potential crypto startups globally
- Great culture: highly professional and ambitious, yet informal, friendly, non-hierarchical, collaborative and entrepreneurial
- A cool office in central London with a sci-fi touch
- Frequent team events such as team lunches, team dinners, video and other games
- Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive fixed compensation you get significant performance-based variable pay
Write to us if you
- Love coding, love problem solving, and love seeing your products work
- Love building things
- Are curious about algorithmic trading and financial markets
- Are determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Like working like an owner and not having a 9-to-5 or contractor mentality
- Like working in the team environment (not fully remote), at least >60% working from our London office (COVID restrictions allowing)
Tips for Successful Application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and this space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job" or pursues purely mercenary objectives
- Do your research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in Wintermute generally and your specific role in particular
- Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions. If you don't have some obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant/transferable
- Prepare to be tested on our hard skills requirements
- Prepare to demonstrate “Other requirements”
- Do your basic homework on crypto markets and what hft/market making/algo trading is
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort into making the application relevant!