London / Singapore / USA / Remote /
Wintermute is one of the largest algorithmic trading firms in digital assets globally. We manage hundreds of millions in assets and trade more than $5B+/day across dozens of different trading platforms. Culturally, we combine 1) the highest standards of technological and trading sophistication from traditional financial markets and 2) technology startup nature, as we are moving very fast and empowering people to act like owners.
Wintermute provides liquidity algorithmically across most vested exchanges in crypto, across CeFi and DeFi, on-screen and OTC, as well as supports high profile blockchain projects. At Wintermute, we believe in the decentralization of finance and we believe that trading companies of the future are technology companies, not financial services providers.
In DeFi, Wintermute is known to be one of the largest algorithmic traders in DeFi. We support all major DEX, trading platforms, AMMs and we work with most major chains. Wintermute is an official market maker for many prominent blockchain projects and we actively support the DeFi ecosystem by investing in early stage projects, helping them kick-start and maintain liquidity and collaborating/co-creating products with promising projects.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable proprietary trading business. We are backed by Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and other top tier investors. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Working at Wintermute
At Wintermute, we are are looking for a DeFi Envoy; someone with a huge passion and curiosity in DeFi demonstrated through research, work experience or extra-curricular activities. As a DeFi Envoy, you will be responsible for representing Wintermute in various DeFi governance discussions and work with the community to generate new ideas and suggest improvements in protocols. On a higher level you will also be responsible for shaping and communicating Wintermute values to the ecosystem and key partners with an added goal of gathering more delegation power from major investors/projects in the defi space.
What you will work on
1) Creating governance proposals for projects we are investor / official MM for
2) Engaging in governance discussions for key defi protocols
3) Formulating and promoting Wintermute values across defi ecosystem
4) Accumulating delegation power from other token holders
5) Being on top of governance proposals for longer tail of projects, scanning for alpha / investment opportunities
Hard Skills Requirements
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Basic understanding of DeFi ecosystem and decentralised projects
- Basic coding skills and ability to pull blockchain data is a big plus
- Understanding of token economics, governance, different players in the ecosystem and their objectives
- Trading knowledge is not required but willingness and curiosity to learn algorithmic, high-frequency, quantitative, market making trading and blockchain fundamentals is a bonus
Nice to have skills:
- Deep experience with defi protocols
- Active participation on forums/discord servers
- General understanding of defi landscape across multiple chains
- Ability to create governance proposals dashboards in order to stay on top of key developments
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would be unlikely at any other project or trading firm
- A unique opportunity to join one of the strongest and most successful DeFi teams globally
- Although we prefer London or Singapore based candidates and support relocation, we are open to remote candidates; for office candidates, we offer flexibility to work from home about 50% of the time; we support some working hour flexibility.
- With Wintermute you don’t make a bet on a single product, platform, chain or technology; we’ll win if DeFi wins as a whole
- Great company culture: informal, non-hierarchical, ambitious, highly professional yet collaborative and entrepreneurial
- A cool office in central London with a sci-fi touch
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
- Aligned incentive structure: a significant part of your compensation is similar to that of owners - significant performance-based variable pay and the best thing - your contribution directly impacts both and the upside is unlimited
- We offer standard perks too, like pension, private health insurance, free food and office gym, but that’s probably not the right reason to join us
- We offer UK work permits and help in relocation
Write to us if you
- Love DeFi and everything about it!
- Love building things
- Are curious about algorithmic trading and financial markets
- Are determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Like working like an owner and not having a 9-to-5 or contractor mentality
- Like working in the team environment (not fully remote), at least >60% working from our London office (COVID restrictions allowing)
Tips for a successful application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and DeFi space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job"
- Do some research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in DeFi in general and in Wintermute in particular.
- Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions!
- If you don't have an obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant
- Prepare to be tested on your hard skills required for this job. We do not care as much about your credentials (university or prior employer), but we care a lot about your knowledge and ability to get things done
- Unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort in making the application relevant!