Senior Design Manager
San Francisco, California /
Technical – Product /
Wish is seeking an experienced Senior Design Manager to help manage product designers, communication designers, and copywriters responsible for our customer-facing products. You will help the team realize our global vision and deliver best-in-class product experiences and visuals, while also ensuring that our products work together seamlessly.
The team collaborates closely with both the Engineering, Data Science and Product Management teams to encourage design collaboration and brand consistency.
Who you are:
- You are business oriented with strong management experience and knowledge in design. You are product-driven and not afraid to make bold decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- You know how to hire excellent people. You're able to create the systems for you (and others) to effectively evaluate and hire designers
- You set the bar high. You know what great craftsmanship looks like and how to help product teams ship at that quality with a balance of speed.
- You will advocate for our user-experience, product design consistency, brand voice, and design excellence.
- Excitement for building team culture, hiring and promoting design education within the greater organization.
- As a designer, your talent should be evident in your existing portfolio. Your interests lie more in helping others become amazing designers + writers.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the design process — Identify team needs with regards to process, tools, documentation, etc., and implement or drive required changes. Help guide the design team to develop appropriate frameworks.
- Manage and coach. You provide individual career growth and development for all members of the creative team. You are familiar with Design career architecture and are deeply committed to growing the skills and career of your team.
- Responsibility for the creative team -- Main creative team point of contact. Collaborate with product managers, engineering leads and executive management to help define requirements for product development.
- Grow the creative team by attracting and hiring new talent. Build a top-notch creative team by recruiting exceptional design or copy talent. You’ll be responsible for creative team resource management.
- Team management -- Creative team resource management, project allocation to the appropriate team; team activities and collaboration, creative process feedback, and suggestions. Responsible for team performance report to management and growth.
- Creative/community promotion -- Planning, curation, and creation of materials for creative community sites (Dribble, Behance, etc.), host internal/external design/creative events, spearheading a creative/design blog.
- 8+ years experience in a fast-paced and dynamic design environment
- 5+ years managing design teams in the development of software products
- Experience with the creation of design systems and componentization.
- Consistent track record of coaching talented designers to achieve their best performance
- Deep knowledge and applied experience in graphic design (layout, typography, color)
- A track record of leading design teams through successful product launches across iOS, Android, Web & Mobile Web
- Solid information design experience with a foundation in UX design heuristics
- A diverse portfolio across web and mobile, that reflect critical thinking and design excellence
Nice to have:
- Experience/knowledge in all fields: Product Design, Communications Design & Copy/UX Writing background, with a focus on mobile
- Marketing background
- Experience managing writers either as a manager or project lead
Wish values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate based on any legally-protected class or characteristic. Employment decisions are made based on qualifications, merit, and business needs. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.