Composite Assembly Technician
Mountain View, CA
Departments – Composites Shop /
At Wisk, we're transforming the future of urban mobility through safe, all-electric, autonomous flight. We are a passionate team working together toward a sustainable future, solving high-impact problems that have never been solved before. By delivering everyday flight for everyone, we're making it possible to spend less time getting there and more time being there. If you want to be part of shaping the future of mobility, then read on!
Why we need you:
- We’re looking for a Composite Assembly Technician to join us in producing an exciting new class of all electric personal aircraft. You will be responsible for following current processes and specifications to support the bonding, mechanical assembly, modification and repairs of composite airframe structures. You will use fixtures, molds and other industry specific tools to ensure the assembly is done properly.
- You have the ability to work from digital work instructions and engineering drawings as well as assisting cross functional teams to resolve problems and develop techniques for special projects or programs. Your mission is to keep safety at the forefront of everything you do while fabricating top level assemblies.
- The successful candidate is a highly knowledgeable and experienced technical person who has direct hands-on experience developing and building composite aircraft, from initial concept articles through delivery of complete aircraft assemblies to flight test. In this role, the candidate must be proactive, forward thinking and self motivated with the ability to inspire and lead by influence a team of like-minded personnel.
What you will do:
- Learn the build process through on the job training and digital procedures.
- You will set up composite parts for fabrication by reading and interpreting drawings, planning, understanding tooling and materials, sequence of operations, and techniques required for fabrication.
- You will perform part-fitting operations that require trimming, filing, drilling, sanding, and reaming.
- Perform adhesive bonding and mechanical assembly of flight composite structures or R&D projects.
- Perform simple to complex repairs in composite parts.
- Identify issues in the manufacturing process and propose/implement solutions for improvement.
- Record your work in the current work order/traveler format.
- Work with responsible engineers and quality control to properly document any non-conformance or deviations from the established work instructions.
- May provide leadership with the ability to demonstrate and explain production operations, lead the team on assignments and provide reliable peer quality review.
What you have done:
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant composite bonding experience with a variety of adhesive systems and surface preparation techniques.
- You have worked on various projects and are familiar with a variety of composite and metallic materials, surface coatings, adhesives, sealants, fasteners, and methods.
- You have experience designing and fabricating assembly fixtures and shop aids from raw materials.
- Able to read and understand composite engineering drawings including notes and tolerances.
- Strong craftsmanship skills and experience with various types of hand-held power tools and machine equipment.
- Able to assemble/disassemble precision fixtures to aid in bonding of the airframe main structure.
- Excellent communication skills including collaborating in a diverse and dynamic team environment that may be working remotely.
- You have a strong and applied knowledge of manufacturing documentation processes, such as as-built records, quality systems, and manufacturing execution systems.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Experience operating a laser tracker for part or fixture validation.
- Experience with additive manufacturing processes including build preparation, software, and post processing.
- Experience shaping bodies by fabricating, aligning, filling, sanding, grinding, smoothing and feather edging surfaces.
Who you are:
- You are a highly motivated, self starting individual with a broad set of skills and never afraid of facing complex technical challenges
- You are a solution oriented individual with a strong analytical mindset.
- You have strong communication skills and can easily tailor your communications to suit the audience.
- You can adapt quickly or propose changes needed to achieve early results in a timely fashion.
- You embrace challenges and take commitments and deliver results within reasonable expectations.
- You are a positive team player.
$33 - $38 an hour
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to offering a great work environment and the opportunity to be part of the team making electric autonomous flight a reality, at Wisk, we offer excellent total rewards which include a competitive base salary, annual bonus, long term incentive, 401K, health benefits and much more.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay Range the Company expects to pay: $33 - $38 per hour - The starting base salary within this range for this role varies based on factors such as your geographical location, and your relevant job-related experience that is consistent with a business necessity.
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance, alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 11 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching vested immediately, commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, wellness allowances, snacks, drinks, fruit, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, patent bonus program, happy hours and much more.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.