Senior Flight Test Engineer
Mountain View, CA /
Wisk – Flight & Integrated Systems Test /
At Wisk, we're transforming the future of urban mobility through safe, all-electric, autonomous flight. We are a passionate team working together toward a sustainable future, solving high-impact problems that have never been solved before. By delivering everyday flight for everyone, we're making it possible to spend less time getting there and more time being there. If you want to be part of shaping the future of mobility, then read on!
We are looking for a Senior Flight Test Engineer with experience certifying complex aircraft and aerospace systems to join us in testing and certifying a new class of all-electric personal aircraft.
As a member of the Flight Test team, you will be working closely with the systems engineering and certification group and cognizant engineers from avionics, electric propulsion, structural, aerodynamics, and controls teams to validate and verify a revolutionary new aircraft design.
Your role will involve interpreting certification requirements, identifying applicable industry guidance, and applying your knowledge of Wisk’s complex flight control, electric propulsion and avionics systems to determine relevant test objectives and conditions to show compliance to the certification authority. Leveraging your certification experience, you will develop test procedures, data analysis methods, and write test plans which will demonstrate Cora meets the certification requirements. You will support test program scheduling, participate in test execution as a Flight Test Engineer and/or Test Director, perform data analysis and write test reports to a standard required by a certification authority. You will mentor other flight test personnel on current industry practices for certifying complex aircraft systems and support writing updates to company Standard Operating Procedures.
Within 3 months you will:
- Start learning about the aircraft and its systems
- Become familiar with our Certification Basis and certification plan
- Learn about the aircraft and Ground Control Station development, Validation and Verification strategies
- Learn about our flight test processes
- Commence training to support ground and flight test execution
Within 6 months you will:
- Continue learning about the aircraft and its systems
- Support flight test planning, execution, analysis, and reporting
- Attain Test Director qualifications and run test execution
- Contribute to means of compliance development
Within 12 months you will:
- Establish yourself as a Subject Matter Expert and Flight Test representative on various Integrated Project Teams
- Mentor colleagues and support updates to company SOPs
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in an applicable engineering field, or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience participating in an FAA/EASA/TCCA Type Certification or Supplemental Type Certification program for fixed/rotary-wing aircraft or complex systems
- Familiarity with the aircraft development process and planning documents of ARP4754A/ ED-79A
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams and manage tasks to successful completion in challenging cross functional environments
- Experience authoring flight test plans and reports required for aircraft certification consistent with 14 CFR Part 21, ARP4754A, and equivalent standards
- Proficiency in data analysis with MATLAB, Python, or other scripting tools
- Experience with the management of compliance data and making statements of compliance to Airworthiness Regulations
- Graduate of a recognized Test Pilot School or equivalent experience
- Experience drafting means of compliance for, and showing compliance to, complex certification bases encompassing Issue Papers and Special Conditions
- Demonstrated experience testing and certifying Fly-by-Wire (FBW) aircraft and envelope protection systems
- Experience conducting flight characteristics and performance testing per 14 CFR 23/27/25/29 Subpart B
- Experience showing compliance to 14 CFR 2X.1301 & 2X.1309 or equivalent, and familiarity with DO-160G/ED-14
- Knowledge of DO178/ED-12B airborne software certification process and installed testing in aircraft
- Knowledge of 14 CFR 2X.1329 and associated certification guidance and standards (e.g. AC25.1329 and RTCA DO335)
- Knowledge of Performance Based Navigation concepts, guidance, and standards such as DO236/DO283/ICAO9613/AC90-105
- Experience testing avionics equipment following AC20-138
- Experience with flight testing of Electric Propulsion systems including motors, propellers and/or rotors
- Experience with specifying Flight Test Instrumentation requirements for aircraft certification test programs and familiarity with the requirements of 14 CFR 21.39
- Familiarity with FAA Order 4040.26B
- Experience managing deficiencies, limitations and restrictions in a flight test environment
- Experience managing configuration/conformity of test vehicles
- Experience operating/testing of Remotely Piloted Aircraft
- Current Flight Analyst DER or ability to obtain this delegation
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, patent bonus program, happy hours and many more.
In order to protect the health and safety of all Wisk employees in the workplace, we are requiring that all employees receive an FDA-authorized vaccination against COVID-19 prior to physically returning to Wisk’s U.S. offices. Exceptions/accommodations are considered for employees with disabilities or sincerely-held religious beliefs or practices that prevent them from being vaccinated against COVID-19.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.