Guidance, Navigation, and Control Manager
Mountain View, CA
Wisk – Software
At Wisk, we believe that less time getting there means more time being there for the moments that truly matter. We are an urban air-mobility company dedicated to delivering safe everyday flight for everyone. Our self-flying air taxi, Cora, will make it possible to skip the traffic and get to where you’re going, faster. Join us to craft a better world by opening access to the sky.
We are looking for a Guidance, Navigation, and Control Engineering Manager to lead the team responsible for the aircraft’s autonomous control software. The team is responsible for implementing control algorithms, state estimation methods, and self-flying autonomy software to fly on full scale aircraft. Besides the embedded control software, the team develops and maintains the aircraft simulation and the analysis of the control system stability and performance. The team provides technical expertise to systems engineering requirements and assists in the development of software validation & verification tests.
As a GNC engineering manager, you will be part of the software leadership team. You will also work closely with several other teams that depend on input and collaboration with the GNC team including aerodynamics, flight test, systems engineering, battery, and propulsion. A key aspect of the role is to balance the need for innovation with the formal requirements and process of developing a certified aircraft.
- Lead, grow, and develop a team of GNC engineering professionals
- Learn about the technical aspects of the aircraft and it’s unique control system
- Become part of the team, learn what they are working on, and provide mentorship to the team
- Build a strategy for the continued development and growth of the team
- Provide guidance to the senior leadership team on resource needs (budget and personnel) and roadmap
- Coordinate the developmental effort to generate certified GNC flight software
- Collaborate with systems engineering to ensure the technical details of the GNC flight software are captured in the system requirements
- Work with program management to generate and maintain software development schedules
- Become familiar with and suggest improvements the team processes and tools
- Foster a sense of community for the team
- MS in Aerospace Engineering, Software Engineering, or other relevant fields
- 10+ years of industry, GNC experience
- 3+ years experience managing an engineering team
- Experience developing and maintaining schedules
- Team player and creative thinker who is able to collaborate with other technical teams (aerodynamics, flight test, software, etc.)
- Ability to adapt and operate under ambiguity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with Matlab/Simulink and C/C++, specifically for embedded software
- Understanding of DO-178B/C software certification standards
- Expert knowledge of aircraft, helicopter, or EVTOL GNC systems and software
- Experience with Model Based Design
- Familiarity with aircraft airworthiness type certification and developing safety critical software
- Familiarity with Jira, Git, or other software product lifecycle management tools
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.