Senior Controls Engineer
Remote United States /
Wisk – Flight Physics /
At Wisk, we're transforming the future of urban mobility through safe, all-electric, autonomous flight. We are a passionate team working together toward a sustainable future, solving high-impact problems that have never been solved before. By delivering everyday flight for everyone, we're making it possible to spend less time getting there and more time being there. If you want to be part of shaping the future of mobility, then read on!
We are looking for a Senior Controls Engineer to join our Guidance, Navigation and Controls (GNC) Team in designing an exciting new class of electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) vehicles for the emerging frontier of urban-air mobility. You will be responsible for designing, implementing and analyzing controls algorithms, state estimation methods, and self-flying autonomous software. You will model and create software that runs on full scale airplanes, as well as being responsible for supporting the flight tests of those new algorithms. You will develop and bring about safe autonomous flight by following standard aviation certification processes, performing rigorous testing and utilizing formal method analysis techniques.
- Develop prototypes and improve existing solutions
- Conduct analysis activities
- Develop and verify requirements for satisfying SW certification objectives
- Take ownership of features and design new algorithms and software logic
- Implement new models in our simulation engine using first principles, empirical data, or system identification
- Obtain a high level of familiarity with our vehicle’s avionics, software architecture, GNC algorithms, and the team’s analysis tools
- Develop new GNC tools using software best practices in MATLAB/Simulink
- Contribute to software development and verification activities via a Model-Based Design (MBD) approach for developing high-integrity SW
- Support flight test and HIL activities in debugging anomalies and issues
- M.S. or PhD. in Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical/Electrical Engineering with at least 5 years of industry experience
- Strong knowledge of estimation and control theory
- Practical experience with design,implementation and analysis of control systems
- Strong MATLAB & Simulink skills
- Strong simulation and physical modeling background
- Strong linear algebra and calculus skills
- Experience developing high-integrity software using MathWorks toolchain
- Experience with DO-178C certification and DO-331 MBD supplement
- Experience with embedded systems
- Experience with robust control and control allocation
- Experience with state estimation and sensors (accels, gyros, magnetometer, GPS, pressure transducers, etc.)
- Good grasp of aerodynamics and aircraft flight dynamics
- Experience writing software requirements
- Experience with certification of control systems
- Knowledge of software architecture and programming best practices
- Possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple areas of responsibility concurrently
- Flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Team player/builder; possess a “can-do” attitude
- Results and goal oriented; a true professional who can deliver on budget and on time. Ability and desire to be proactive, not just reactive; a questioning mindset
- A creative thinker; one who looks for new and innovative ways of doing things
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to offering a great work environment and the opportunity to be part of the team making electric autonomous flight a reality, at Wisk, we offer excellent total rewards which include a competitive base salary, annual bonus, long term incentive, 401K, health benefits and much more.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay Range the Company expects to pay: $122,018 - $186,450 per year - The starting base salary within this range for this role varies based on factors such as your geographical location, and your relevant job-related experience that is consistent with a business necessity.
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as flight lessons, wellness subsidies, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
In order to protect the health and safety of all Wisk employees in the workplace, we are requiring that all employees receive an FDA-authorized vaccination against COVID-19 prior to physically returning to Wisk’s U.S. offices. Exceptions/accommodations are considered for employees with disabilities or sincerely-held religious beliefs or practices that prevent them from being vaccinated against COVID-19.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.