Aircraft Structure - IPT Lead
Mountain View, CA /
Wisk – Airframe /
We believe in a world where less time getting there means more time being there, and that starts with Cora.
With over a decade of piloted and autonomous flight experience, we’ve created Cora—our all-electric, self-flying air taxi that will change the future of daily commutes and urban travel. From day one, Cora by Wisk was designed with safety as our first priority using emissions free systems.
We’re working toward a future where you’ll be able to safely soar over traffic and get to where you’re going, faster. Because everyone has somewhere to be, someone to see, and now—a better way to get there.
The Aircraft Structure IPTL will lead a team that supports the design, manufacturing, testing, and certification of the fuselage, wings, booms, control surfaces, landing gear, windows, fairings, and other structural components. The team is involved in conceptual design, trade studies, prototyping, load definition, requirements development, manufacturing support, integration, test, and all aspects of the certification of the structure. You will work closely with aerodynamics engineers, structural analysts, composites designers, manufacturing engineers, test engineers and will be responsible for design definition and verifying components meet program requirements.
The mission of the IPTL is to champion planning, coordination, and communication of the cross-functional team responsible for delivering a defined system or product. The IPTL is responsible for ensuring the assigned team's objectives are achieved on schedule, within budget, and consistent with quality and technical standards. This position will be responsible for gate reviews, and facilitate self-guided peer reviews of all work products produced by the team. The IPTL, in cooperation with a Program Manager who will be assigned to the project, will be responsible for generation and maintenance of an Integrated Master Schedule, risk identification and mitigation, planning packages, and technical baselines associated with the aircraft structure development project.
- Engage with Program Managers, Chief Engineers, Functional Managers, and Systems Engineers, and promoting successful program planning and execution within cost, schedule and technical milestones
- Lead development efforts related to the concept, architecture, design, development, integration, validation, performance assessment, risk management, and flight test
- Primary point of contact for the technical, cost, risk/opportunity, and schedule performance on the development effort
- Frequent collaboration with multiple functions (certification, hardware, systems, flight test, etc) and the program office
- Monitoring engineering performance and ensuring that issues are addressed immediately and corrective actions are implemented expeditiously
- Lead structural design of composite and metallic parts and assemblies
- Coordinate the engineering review, approval, and release processes
- Plan and coordinate verification testing, including design of test fixtures and authoring of test plans and report
- Conduct multidisciplinary program reviews and presentations throughout the different phases of development, certification, and production readiness with internal and external stakeholders
- Support program management team by implementing schedule changes into the Integrated Master Schedule (IMS), maintaining timely and effective change management processes and procedures
- 10+ years of experience in engineering development and leadership with 5+ years of experience in an airframe structures engineering environment with responsibility for project scheduling and management
- Experience in the design and FAA certification of composite airframe structures with knowledge of associated FAA regulations and guidance material and industry standards
- Experience with all phases of the development life-cycle including planning, conceptual design, requirements definition, preliminary design, prototyping, test and evaluation, detailed design, integration, formal verification, entry to production, etc.
- Strong engineering analytical and technical writing skills with ability to present test data and explain results to management & customers
- Expertise in project management tools such as Microsoft Project, Confluence, and/or JIRA
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience authoring formal analysis reports and supporting design reviews
- Successfully helped organizations transition from the R&D stage to a product delivery and execution mode
- Demonstrated strong judgment, planning skills and decision making abilities
- Able to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Experience mentoring junior engineers and promoting two-way communication
- Proficient with commercial FEA software (e.g. NASTRAN) and methods (modeling techniques, failure criteria, etc.), specifically for analyzing composite structures
- Strong understanding of engineering fundamentals (structural mechanics, beam theory, laminate theory, dynamics, failure criteria, loads, etc) including hand calculation methods
- Knowledge of systems engineering and systems safety analyses and processes, including Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP 4761, and SAE ARP 4754A
- Familiar with CAD software such as NX, Solidworks, CATIA, etc.
- Proficiency in drafting standards including GD&T, with an ability to interpret engineering drawings for metal and composite parts and assemblies
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.