Battery Cell Engineer
Mountain View, CA /
Wisk – Materials, Voltaics, and Processes /
We believe in a world where less time getting there means more time being there, and that starts with Cora.
With over a decade of piloted and autonomous flight experience, we’ve created Cora—our all-electric, self-flying air taxi that will change the future of daily commutes and urban travel. From day one, Cora by Wisk was designed with safety as our first priority using emissions free systems.
We’re working toward a future where you’ll be able to safely soar over traffic and get to where you’re going, faster. Because everyone has somewhere to be, someone to see, and now—a better way to get there.
This position contributes to the development and qualification of novel battery technology for current and future Urban Air Mobility eVTOL projects. You will join a small team of like-minded engineers and scientists designing and sourcing cells from strategic battery cell suppliers, generating test plans, analyzing test data, and presenting that data to a wide multi-disciplined audience to help make vehicle-level decisions.
- Interact closely with our current cell suppliers and work in close cooperation to develop and design unique chemistry solutions for next-generation electric vehicles
- Ensure that designed cells fulfill performance, cycle life, quality, and safety requirements
- Establish contact and source new potential battery cell suppliers
- Perform cell teardowns, carry out root cause failure analysis, and propose countermeasures
- Correlate cell performance to electrochemical properties
- Direct experience working with cell manufacturers
- Wet laboratory experience with cell development
- Cell characterization experience and:
- Deep knowledge of cell component design, such as:
- Ability to motivate and work independently with minimal mentorship required
- Familiarity with cell cyclers (e.g. Arbin, Maccor or Neware, and corresponding data analysis)
- Familiarity with EIS, CV and related electrochemical characterization tools
- Electrode active materials and binders
Nice To Have:
- Fluency in English and Mandarin
- Passion for electric vehicles
- Cell destructive testing experience, including DO-311A or relevant standards compliance
Education and Experience:
- M.S. or Ph.D in Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or equivalent.
- 5+ years’ experience in electrochemical system
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.