Composites Manufacturing Engineer
Mountain View, CA /
Wisk – Manufacturing /
We believe in a world where less time getting there means more time being there, and that starts with Cora.
With over a decade of piloted and autonomous flight experience, we’ve created Cora—our all-electric, self-flying air taxi that will change the future of daily commutes and urban travel. From day one, Cora by Wisk was designed with safety as our first priority using emissions free systems.
We’re working toward a future where you’ll be able to safely soar over traffic and get to where you’re going, faster. Because everyone has somewhere to be, someone to see, and now—a better way to get there.
We are seeking a hands-on composites manufacturing engineer to join our team developing electric-powered aircraft. You are efficient in the office and on the shop floor. Your core responsibilities will include implementation and management of manufacturing execution systems, process development and improvement, design and development of manufacturing tooling and equipment, and assistance in DFM processes for improved quality and costs. Your additional subtasks will include part-sourcing, and hands-on assembly of parts. You will also participate in manufacturability assessments. You have extensive experience with a wide variety of assembly and manufacturing processes, automation of processes, cost analysis for outsourcing of processes, and paperless workflow systems.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team
- Shadow design engineers, technicians, and other manufacturing engineers
- Support manufacturing activities, both internal and outsourced
- Write work instructions for new or current composite airframe components
- Support structural assemblies through aircraft integration
- Learn how to use our CAD and PLM tools
Within 6 months you will:
- Continue learning about the aircraft and subsystem assemblies
- Take ownership of new manufacturing projects
- Work with technicians and design engineers to develop manufacturing processes, tooling, procedures, quality control points, inspection plans, etc.
- Purchase and implement new manufacturing equipment
- Keep equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services
Within 12 months you will:
- Reach high level of familiarity with the aircraft
- Continuously improve manufacturing processes
- Efficiently incorporate design changes into manufacturing plans and procedures
- Improve manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment
- Bachelor's degree in Manufacturing Engineering or similar
- 3 years of experience as a manufacturing engineer in a production environment, preferably in a high-volume operation and/or aerospace
- Comfortable creating new solutions to problems, as opposed to applying tried methods
- Proficient with CAD software (NX & Solidworks preferred)
- Experience working with other engineers to improve the manufacturability of a product (Design for Manufacturing) while controlling cost and weight
- Composite part fabrication: prepreg layup, vacuum bagging, trimming, drilling, surface preparation, structural bonding
- Tool design for complex assemblies, composite layup, and bonding
- Proficient and safe use of hand and shop tools
- Familiar with drafting standards/GD&T. Has ability to interpret or create engineering drawings
- Experience with composite laminate definition via Fibersim, CPD, or equivalent
- Metrology/inspection experience. Laser trackers, scanners, NDI equipment such as ultrasound, or thermography.
- Proficient in the fundamentals of industrial engineering, including capacity models, technical writing, time studies, and labor cost forecasting.
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.