Manufacturing Engineer: Aircraft Systems
Mountain View, CA /
Wisk – Manufacturing /
At Wisk, we believe that less time getting there means more time being there for the moments that truly matter. We are an urban air-mobility company dedicated to delivering safe everyday flight for everyone. Our self-flying air taxi, Cora, will make it possible to skip the traffic and get to where you’re going, faster. Join us to craft a better world by opening access to the sky.
We are seeking a hands-on manufacturing engineer to join our team developing electric-powered aircraft. You are efficient in the office and on the shop floor. Your core responsibilities will include implementation and management of manufacturing execution systems, process development and improvement, design and development of manufacturing tooling and equipment, and assistance in DFM processes for improved quality and costs. You will also participate in manufacturability assessments working closely with the design engineering teams. You have extensive experience with a wide variety of assembly and manufacturing processes, automation of processes, cost analysis for outsourcing of processes, and paperless workflow systems.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team
- Shadow design engineers, technicians, and other manufacturing engineers
- Support manufacturing activities
- Write work instructions for new assemblies such as motors, batteries, & avionics
- Support manufacturing activities, both internal and outsourced
Within 6 months you will:
- Continue learning about the aircraft and subsystem assemblies
- Take ownership of new manufacturing engineering projects
- Work closely with design engineers, quality and technicians to develop manufacturing processes, tooling, procedures, quality control points, inspection plans, etc.
- Purchase and implement new manufacturing equipment
- Assist with implementation and management of PLM, MES and ERP systems
- Keep equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services
Within 12 months you will:
- Reach high level of familiarity with the aircraft and subassemblies like batteries, motors & avionics
- Continuously improve manufacturing processes
- Bring resolution to quality issues using effective root cause analysis
- Efficiently incorporate design changes into manufacturing plans and procedures including new parts and process changes
- Improve manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment
- Bachelor's degree in Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar
- 3 years of experience as a manufacturing engineer in a production environment, preferably in a high-volume operation and/or aerospace industry
- Proficient in CAD software (Solidworks)
- Experience working with other engineers to improve the manufacturability of a product (Design for Manufacturing) while controlling cost and weight
- Proficient in the fundamentals of industrial engineering, including capacity models, technical writing, time studies, and labor cost forecasting.
- Proficient and safe use of hand and shop tools
- Familiar with drafting standards/GD&T. Ability to interpret or create engineering drawings
- Familiarity with a wide variety of electronic and electromechanical technologies, including assembly and joining processes
- Comfortable creating new solutions to problems, as opposed to applying tried methods
- Proficient in CAD software (NX preferred)
- Passion for bringing high quality aircraft systems to manufacturing capability
- Six Sigma or LEAN manufacturing experience/certification
- Experience working with PLM and MES
- Experience using Teamcenter MPP
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.