Senior Composites Manufacturing Engineer
Departments – Manufacturing /
At Wisk, we're transforming the future of urban mobility through safe, all-electric, autonomous flight. We are a passionate team working together toward a sustainable future, solving high-impact problems that have never been solved before. By delivering everyday flight for everyone, we're making it possible to spend less time getting there and more time being there. If you want to be part of shaping the future of mobility, then read on!
We are looking for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer to join our team. The goal of a Senior Manufacturing Engineer at Wisk is to ensure that manufacturing processes, equipment, and definition are developed and sufficient to meet certification requirements for the FAA and AS9100.. You will be part of the Manufacturing Engineering team that provides Design for Manufacturability input to design, part creation, assembly sequence definition, supports production system development and shop floor activities, from prototyping through high rate production. Additionally, you will be integral to the development of foundational processes and documents for Manufacturing Engineering at Wisk.
Why we need you:
- With that vision in mind, we are looking for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer to join our Manufacturing Engineering team. The goal of the Manufacturing Engineer at Wisk is to build the first fully autonomous all-electric aircraft that performs and operates safely in an urban air-mobility environment. In support of this goal, you will be part of the Manufacturing Engineering team that assesses designs for manufacturability and assimilability; identifies opportunities for early efficiencies and ways to leverage equipment or automation; and works cross functionally to prototype and develop processes for high rate manufacturing. Your goal is to make sure that designs are manufacturable and build the factory of the future.
- The successful candidate is a knowledgeable and experienced technical contributor who has direct hands-on experience developing and building type certified aircraft or working in regulated environments, from initial concept through flight testing and certification, with the technical breadth necessary to interface with all engineering functions such as Quality, Hardware design, Test, and Production teams. This person also has experience working with Composites layup, composite bonding, composite tooling, and composite trim and drill. In this role, the candidate must be proactive, forward thinking, and self-motivated with the ability to effectively communicate information and ideas with a cross functional and diverse team.
What you will do:
- Own manufacturing projects from early design phases through introduction to production lines
- Support manufacturing activities, both internal to Wisk and externally at vendors and potential technical partners
- Support Composite Structures through aircraft integration, using Wisk determined CAD and PLM tools
- Work closely with a cross functional project team to develop manufacturing processes, tooling and equipment, procedures, quality control points, inspection plans, etc.
- Improve manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment
- Help define and develop process documents, and work instructions to define the manufacturing process and best practices to establish foundation for the Manufacturing system at Wisk
- Learn about the Composite Structures and how it integrates with the overall aircraft and interacts with other subsystems
- Support builds of the Composite Structures from prototype through at rate production.
- Coordinate and collaborate closely with the Systems Test function to support testing of the propulsion system and determine how best to incorporate testing into at-rate production
What you have done:
- B.S. in a relevant engineering discipline with at least 4+ years of experience working with large integrated composites structures, Composite layup, Composite bonding, Trim and drill system, structural assembly and composite automation systems.
- You have exposure to high-rate production environments and have experience working with composites structures
- You have hands-on experience integrating complex, safety-critical systems and solving associated problems.
- Proficient with drafting standards/GD&T, Has ability to interpret, correct, and create engineering drawings
- Proficient with CAD software (NX/ CATIA preferred)
- Experience with automation and knowledge of designing and implementing system Automated systems.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to improve the manufacturability of a product (Design for Manufacturing) while controlling cost and weight
- Comfortable creating new solutions to problems, working in a dynamic environment, and with members from different disciplines and backgrounds
- Detail oriented with strong documentation skills with respect to project and task tracking
- You are familiar with Siemens tools (NX, TeamCenter, Easy Plan, Opscenter etc.)
- Must relocate to Mesa Arizona, and be able to travel to facilities in Mountain View, CA
- Experience working on certified aircraft and in a regulated environment (e.g. AS9100, FAA Certification, or similar)
- Experience in development and integration of automated manufacturing processes to bring prototypes to high volume production
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing and Six-Sigma principles
- Familiar with Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES)
- Familiarity with engineering configuration management tools such as Teamcenter and JIRA
- Ability to drive continuous improvement & optimization efforts to reduce production costs, improve yield, quality, reliability, and performance
- Familiarity with composite fabrication safety protocols and equipment
Who you are:
- You are a highly motivated, self starting individual with a broad set of skills and never afraid of facing complex technical challenges
- You are a solution oriented individual with a strong analytical mindset
- You have strong communication skills and can easily tailor your communications to suit the audience
- You can adapt quickly or propose changes needed to achieve early results in a timely fashion
- You embrace challenges and take commitments and deliver results within reasonable expectations
- You are a positive team player
$97,799 - $112,413 a year
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to offering a great work environment and the opportunity to be part of the team making electric autonomous flight a reality, at Wisk, we offer excellent total rewards which include a competitive base salary, annual bonus, long term incentive, 401K, health benefits and much more.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay Range the Company expects to pay: $97,799 - $112,413 per year - The starting base salary within this range for this role varies based on factors such as your geographical location, and your relevant job-related experience that is consistent with a business necessity.
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance, alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 11 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching vested immediately, commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, wellness allowances, snacks, drinks, fruit, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, patent bonus program, happy hours and much more.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.