Certification Flight Test Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Wisk – Flight Test
At Wisk, we believe that less time getting there means more time being there for the moments that truly matter. We are an urban air-mobility company dedicated to delivering safe everyday flight for everyone. Our self-flying air taxi, Cora, will make it possible to skip the traffic and get to where you’re going, faster. Join us to craft a better world by opening access to the sky.
We are looking for a Flight Test Engineer with experience certifying complex aircraft and aerospace systems to join us in testing and certifying a new class of all-electric personal aircraft. As a member of the Flight Test team, you will be working closely with the systems engineering and certification group and cognizant engineers from avionics, electric propulsion, structural, aerodynamics, and controls teams to validate and verify a revolutionary new aircraft design.
Your role will involve interpreting certification requirements, identifying applicable industry guidance, and applying your knowledge of complex flight control and avionics systems to determine relevant test objectives and conditions to show compliance. Leveraging your certification experience, you will develop test procedures, data analysis methods, and write test plans which will demonstrate that our aircraft meets the certification requirements. You will support test program scheduling, participate in test execution as a Flight Test Engineer and/or Test Director, and perform data analysis and write test reports to a standard required by a certification authority. You will mentor other flight test personnel on current industry practices for certifying complex aircraft systems and support writing updates to company Standard Operating Procedures.
Within 3 months you will:
- Start learning about the aircraft and its systems
- Become familiar with our Certification Basis and certification plan
- Learn about the aircraft and Ground Control Station Validation and Verification strategies
- Learn about our flight test processes
Within 6 months you will:
- Continue learning about the aircraft and its systems
- Start scoping and developing test plans
- Start getting involved with ground and flight testing
Within 12 months you will:
- Continue scoping and developing test plans
- Support flight test execution, analysis, and reporting
- Mentor colleagues and support updates to company SOPs
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in an applicable engineering field, or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience participating in an FAA/EASA type certification or supplemental type certification program for fixed/rotary-wing aircraft or complex systems
- Familiarity with the aircraft development process and planning documents of ARP4754A
- Experience authoring flight test plans and reports required for aircraft certification consistent with 14 CFR Part 21, ARP4754A, and equivalent standards
- Proficiency in data analysis with MATLAB, Python, or other scripting tools
- Experience with the management of compliance data and making statements of compliance to airworthiness regulations
- Experience showing compliance to 14 CFR 2X.1301 & 2X.1309 or equivalent
- Knowledge of DO178 airborne software certification process and installed testing in aircraft
- Experience showing compliance to complex certification bases encompassing issue papers and special conditions
- Demonstrated experience testing and certifying Fly-by-Wire (FBW) aircraft and envelope protection systems
- Knowledge of 14 CFR 2X.1329 and associated certification guidance and standards (e.g. AC25.1329 and RTCA DO335)
- Knowledge of Performance Based Navigation concepts, guidance, and standards such as DO236/DO283/ICAO9613/AC90-105
- Experience testing avionics equipment following AC20-138
- Experience with specifying Flight Test Instrumentation requirements for aircraft certification test programs and familiarity with the requirements of 14 CFR 21.39
- Familiarity with FAA Order 4040.26B
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), unlimited PTO days, 9 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.