Aerodynamics Engineering Manager
Mountain View, CA
Wisk – Aerodynamics
At Wisk, we believe that less time getting there means more time being there for the moments that truly matter. We are an urban air-mobility company dedicated to delivering safe everyday flight for everyone. Our self-flying air taxi, Cora, will make it possible to skip the traffic and get to where you’re going, faster. Join us to craft a better world by opening access to the sky.
We are looking for an Aerodynamics Engineering Manager to manage the engineering team responsible for developing and validating the aircraft aero model and aero performance analysis. The work of the team includes performing CFD analysis (steady and unsteady) of the VTOL Cora aircraft in all phases of flight, fitting this data to generate an aero model for GNC simulation and performance analysis, then enhancing, extending, and validating the model based on experimental flight test data. Responsibilities also include the development of aerodynamic and ground load cases based on aerodynamic and dynamic analysis.
You will also work closely with several other teams that depend on input and collaboration with the aero team including: GNC, flight test, structures, battery, and propulsion. A key aspect of the role is to balance the need for innovation with the formal requirements and process of developing a certified aircraft.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become part of the team, get familiar with team members and learn what they are working on
- Learn about the technical aspects of the aircraft and it’s unique aerodynamics
- Become familiar with the team processes and tools
Within 6 months you will:
- Suggest improvements to the existing tools, methods, and processes
- Provide guidance to the senior leadership team on resource needs (budget and personnel) and roadmap
- Provide technical guidance and direction to the team and company on aerodynamic related activities
- Provide mentorship to junior engineers on the team
Within 12 months you will:
- Perform and guide conceptual trade studies
- Help design the company's next generation of vehicles
- Lead and participate in system level design and design reviews
- Bachelor's Degree and 10+ years of industry experience in aircraft or rotorcraft aerodynamics, Masters or PhD preferred
- Experience managing an engineering team
- Aircraft certification experience, particularly regarding loads development and aero model validation
- Experience developing and maintaining schedules
- Team player and creative thinker who is able to collaborate with other technical teams (GNC, flight test, structures, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with multiple objective optimization and trade-off studies
- Aeromechanics and/or rotor dynamics experience
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), unlimited PTO days, 9 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.