What is Foundation?
Foundation bridges crypto and culture to create mutual support between artists and collectors. We’re forging a community-driven path and sharing our tools with the rapidly evolving group of developers who are excited to define this future with us. We want anyone and everyone who cares about the future of digital expression to be a part of it.
Since Foundation launched in February 2021, we’ve supported pioneering artists including Nadya Tolokonnikova of Pussy Riot, Shawna X, Yung Jake, Aphex Twin, Zach Lieberman, Kim Laughton, Sarah Zucker, Devendra Banhart, Viktoria Modesta, Serwah Attafuah, Edward Snowden, and Dom Hofmann, the cofounder of Vine. And we’re just getting started.
As Foundation’s General Counsel, you will build out and lead the legal and regulatory functions for our fast-growing company. You’ll be an executive teammate, working closely with our CEO, co-founders, and leadership team on mission critical projects and business strategies. You’ll collaborate across all departments at Foundation like operations, support, trust and safety, product, and engineering.
As Foundation’s first laywer, you’ll develop strategies that mitigate our company’s legal and regulatory risks while pioneering what it means to be a Web3 brand and company. Our General Counsel will be an internal leader, as well as an external advocate for progressive legislation and regulation for the Web3 industry.
- Set the overall legal strategy and manage all legal matters for our company
- Advise and support the Foundation team on strategic and complex regulatory and business issues in the US and internationally
- Represent our company directly and manage outside counsel in disputes or investigation matters as needed
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders on issues related to product development, trust and safety, engineering, and business operations
- Create, develop, and implement company-wide policies, procedures, and agreements
- Monitor emerging legislation and regulation, while advising the company of crucial regulatory developments
- Educate policymakers on Web3 industry development and advocate for Web3 friendly policy changes
- You are a thoughtful communicator and collaborator
- You are adaptable and accountable in a dynamic environment
- You are committed to long term impact
- You have exceptional judgment in ambiguous and challenging circumstances
- You take initiative and build productive relationships internally and externally
- You have a passion for the arts, mutual support, and creating community
- You have a beginner's mind and open interest in learning new things
- You can manage several complex projects simultaneously while working to meet deadlines
- You have exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to influence and build support for ideas and initiatives
- You are ready to collaborate with a fast-moving team
- You believe in the promise of NFTs and Web3
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- J.D. or equivalent law degree from an ABA-accredited law school and good standing with at least one US state bar
- 5+ years of professional legal experience with a focus in either financial services, securities litigation, regulatory enforcement practice, regulatory compliance (such as KYC/AML practices), emerging technology, intellectual property, or creative economies
- Strategic thinker who can proactively identify key issues and navigate the complex Web3 and crypto regulatory landscapes
- Experience working in government, such as the SEC, FinCEN or CFTC, is highly valued
- Experience in the crypto + Web3 industries is preferred
- In-house experience is a bonus
- Ability to develop strong relationships with partners across all levels of the organization
- A beginner’s mind and interest in Web3, Ethereum, and NFTs
- High-growth startup experience is a plus
Benefits and Support:
- Comprehensive health benefits for you and your dependents
- Unlimited paid time off with approval and flexible hours
- A home office stipend
- A remote working environment
Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity, and welcome people from a variety of backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, perspectives, experiences, and skill sets. As part of our commitment to equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process, and continue to promote an inclusive work environment.
We believe that a diverse team composed of individuals with different perspectives, lived experiences, and identities is essential to achieving our mission and upending old models of selling and sharing art. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are accommodated in the job application and interview process, and in the performance of essential job functions.