Communications Manager (Remote)
Joy is the smarter way to plan your big day, from wedding websites and planning tools, to All-in-One Registry. We are looking for a stellar Communications Manager to join our quickly growing team and help make Joy a household name. We’re a Y Combinator graduate and VC- funded startup tackling the $100B+ event industry. See our recent coverage in Fortune, Forbes, Insider, GMA, Today.com, Yahoo! Finance, Brides, Bustle, and more.
The ideal candidate has both agency and in-house experience, is a self-starter, will take initiative developing and implementing campaigns and strategies, has strong media relations and storytelling skills, is detail oriented, collaborative, and a problem solver at heart, and is well versed in digital/social media.
The ideal candidate will develop and oversee earned media programs, taking a strategic and creative approach to yield optimal results in today’s media landscape. The candidate will have sound judgment, be a persuasive writer, possess proven problem-resolution skills, possess strong verbal and written communications skills, serve as a trusted advisor to key stakeholders and as an external spokesperson when needed, and consistently demonstrate professionalism and ethical behaviors. The candidate will be constantly curious regarding the modern media landscape and industry trends, possess strong consumer media relationships, and have a working knowledge of the interplay between earned and social, as well as owned and paid, to develop integrated communications marketing strategies.
This role will report to the Director of Marketing and Communications, and will play a key role shaping the Joy brand through top-tier media coverage.
- Develop, manage, and execute comprehensive communication strategies, messages, and channels to support effective, timely and accurate communications to internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with internal and external partners on integrated marketing communications plans across earned, owned and paid channels.
- Work with cross-functional teams on go-to-market strategies for key product launches / updates.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the public relations industry and its principles; serve as an industry knowledge expert proactively bringing best practices, trends, insights and opportunities to the table.
- Proactively develop and offer fresh story angles, constantly thinking of ways to secure media coverage.
- Manage projects from start to finish using project management and organizational skills, working with colleagues, vendors and agencies, and keeping leadership apprised of status.
- Build and maintain relationships with the media and key external stakeholders.
- Oversee agency partner and work in partnership with PR agency on plans, campaign development, messaging, and media materials.
- Function as a trusted advisor to key internal stakeholders on communication subjects.
- Serve as a spokesperson on behalf of the company.
- Protect and promote the Joy brand, ensure that brand voice is maintained through all messaging and communications / media materials.
- As needed, prepare reports, audits, and updates for internal and external stakeholders.
- Research, outline, write, edit and proofread materials, including press materials, award submissions, speaking materials, etc.
- Demonstrate a general knowledge of social media tools and how PR and social media work in tandem.
- Measure communication program effectiveness and develop specific strategies and initiatives to improve outcomes.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, English, or related field.
- 7+ years experience; agency and in-house experience required.
- Experience developing communications strategies/plans and working with cross-functional teams on integrated marketing plans, mapping out how key messages translate across earned media, social media, owned, and paid channels.
- A solid grasp of public relations tools and how they are used to achieve goals.
- Solid research, writing and editing skills (including AP style) and the ability to develop and maintain media and influencer contacts/relationships. Strong external media relationships desired.
- A strong understanding of media strategy and what it takes to garner media interest and coverage in today’s landscape. Apply experience and initiative in developing appropriate media strategies and materials.
- An affinity for storytelling, and the ability to generate creative ideas, take risks and think big. Ability to tell stories across and tailor messaging toward various media verticals, whether consumer, business, or tech.
- Experience working with creative teams and developing creative briefs for required assets for communications campaigns / media assets.
- Experience planning events and experiential activations geared toward generating media coverage, buzz, conversation, and social-first content.
- Excellent, polished interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Excellent project management, time management, and organizational skills.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, positive demeanor, with the ability to multi-task and juggle multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to take initiative, make decisions, and work with internal teams and external partners to lead initiatives to fruition and achieve desired outcomes and results.
- Team player who demonstrates leadership skills and an ability to manage-up to and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
Medical, dental, & vision insurance
Remote work culture. Work from where you work best!
At Joy we believe there is always room for making things more joyful. And we’re doing it for weddings. We are designing a better way to help couples, planners, vendors, and guests navigate the complex task of wedding planning.
It is a BIG task and we are a small team, which means you will be a key player and will have a lot of fun dabbling in all aspects of building a great brand. Millions of people around the world use our product, and we’re just getting started.
We’re looking for all kinds of people.
To build a service that brings joy to people all around the world, we need a team with all kinds of different perspectives, experiences and backgrounds.
We want to have the best people in every job. Joy policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.