San Francisco, CA /
Data Science /
Otter is on a mission to create a world of care and opportunity by connecting parents who need childcare with stay-at-home parents who can care for their kids. Our goal is for every child to have access to safe, high-quality childcare and for every stay-at-home parent to be economically empowered in a way never before possible. Over the next ten years, Otter will facilitate millions of hours of childcare and unlock billions of new economic opportunities for stay-at-home parents.
Otter is growing quickly!
Otter’s growth has surpassed our most optimistic expectations: Otter is live in two cities, growing quickly, and we have more demand than we can keep up with. We’re building a category-defining, technology driven solution that works for today’s families in the $75B childcare category. Otter has attracted more than $27M from leading venture investors and angels, including Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Abstract Ventures, Thrive Capital, and a diverse set of world-class operators including Kevin & Julia Hartz, Michael Ovitz, Dylan Field, Scott Belsky, Maran Nelson, Hunter Horsley, Backend Capital, Varsha Rao, Jana Messerschmidt, Claire Hughes Johnson, Jessica Verrilli, Sarah Nahm, Stephen Chau, Marc Hedlund, and Shreya and Anand Iyer.
Otter is poised to make key decisions about our business in the coming months and we’re looking for a data scientist to help us anchor on a data-driven framework. As our founding Data Scientist reporting to our CEO, you will have the opportunity to develop the data infrastructure that will enable us to test, validate, and refine our core hypotheses as we scale. You will also closely partner with the rest of our leadership team and you will have the opportunity to help us create a culture where every member of our team feels empowered to understand and act on data-driven insights about the business.
What you'll do
- Take ownership of Otter’s centralized data infrastructure and dashboards, from design to deployment
- Design source-of-truth datasets that can be used by team members across the organization
- Build, iterate, and execute on internal documentation that makes our data structures legible to people across the organization, regardless of their initial data literacy
- Partner with engineering, product, and operations leadership to develop data driven recommendations to drive better business decisions and outcomes
What you're great at
- Helping others feel empowered to act on insights from complex data sets by making the data you surface easily accessible to a broad audience
- Designing data infrastructure, dashboards, and processes from scratch
- Distilling business challenges into a series of hypotheses and designing data-driven experiments to validate or invalidate them
- Shifting gears from high-level strategic thinking to detailed problem solving
- Communicating clearly about data
- Moving quickly to learn what works and what doesn’t, iterating, and then building tools and processes to scale centralized data infrastructure
Who you are
- You believe care work is real work.
- You have superior communication skills, including the ability to prioritize and efficiently and transparently communicate results at a team, executive, and company level.
- You’re willing to talk about your work in writing so you can contribute to a company culture where we learn from one another, so we can learn faster together.
- You have attention to detail and thrive in a fast-moving environment.
- People who know you would call you a team player with a desire to jump in and be “hands on” as needed.
- You embrace Otter's values and operating principles.
Please apply even if you don't meet 100% of the criteria above. Nobody checks every box every time and we'd love to talk to you about how and why you can see yourself growing into this role. We're also very open to candidates with non-traditional experience, especially those who have taken time out of the traditional workforce to care for their children or other loved ones.
Otter embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.