Safety and Support Operations Manager
San Francisco, CA or Portland, OR /
Customer Support /
Otter is on a mission to create a world of care and opportunity by connecting parents who need childcare with stay-at-home parents who can care for their kids. Our goal is for every child to have access to safe, high-quality childcare and for every stay-at-home parent to be economically empowered in a way never before possible. Over the next ten years, Otter will facilitate millions of hours of childcare and unlock billions of new economic opportunities for stay-at-home parents.
Otter is growing quickly!
Otter’s growth has surpassed our most optimistic expectations: Otter is live in two cities, growing quickly, and we have more demand than we can keep up with. We’re building a category-defining, technology driven solution that works for today’s families in the $75B childcare category. Otter has attracted more than $27M from leading venture investors and angels, including Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Abstract Ventures, Thrive Capital, and a diverse set of world-class operators including Kevin & Julia Hartz, Michael Ovitz, Dylan Field, Scott Belsky, Maran Nelson, Hunter Horsley, Backend Capital, Varsha Rao, Jana Messerschmidt, Claire Hughes Johnson, Jessica Verrilli, Sarah Nahm, Stephen Chau, Marc Hedlund, and Shreya and Anand Iyer.
Most startups build their support teams beginning with Customer Support, and only later retrofit Trust and Safety into those teams once something goes wrong. Care and safety are fundamental to Otter, so we're taking different approach and starting our support organization from within Trust and Safety. As our first Safety and Support Operations Manager, you will have the opportunity to build, grow, and manage that team from the ground up, working closely with our Head of Community Policy and Head of Trust and Safety to ensure that we always keep the safety of our families at the center of our approach to support.
What You'll Do:
- Build a team and culture that centers customer safety and employee wellness at all times and tirelessly look for ways to improve the customer and employee experience.
- Work collaboratively with Shared Services and Community Policy to set performance goals for the team that prioritize policy adherence
- Put scaleable and efficient processes in place to support users by partnering with Shared Services and Community Policy.
- Create reports and conduct analysis to build the voice of the customer, contribute to the broader business narrative, and identify opportunity areas.
What You're Great At:
- Hiring, motivating, coaching, and developing a team supporting Otter's customer experience by using your 5-7 years of Trust and Safety or Customer Service experience (4-6 of those years spent managing or leading teams), including experience working to detect and combat abuse.
- Handling escalated customer issues involving significant risk.
- Using customer management tools like Zendesk (including phone support) and customer screening tools like Checkr to deliver a best-in-class customer service experience.
- Separating emotion from situations and following a data-oriented, reason-based way of thinking to resolve issues.
- Understanding all sides of a situation and responding with a compassionate touch — some might describe you as having a hyperactive sense of customer empathy.
Who You Are:
- You believe care work is real work.
- You have superior communication skills, including the ability to prioritize and efficiently and transparently communicate results at a team, executive, and company level.
- You’re willing to talk about your work in writing so you can contribute to a company culture where we learn from each other despite different locations and schedules, so we can learn faster together.
- You have attention to detail and thrive in a fast-moving environment.
- People who know you would call you a team player with a desire to jump in and be “hands on” as needed.
- You embrace Otter's values and operating principles.
Please apply even if you don't meet 100% of the criteria above. Nobody checks every box every time and we'd love to talk to you about how and why you can see yourself growing into this role. We're also very open to candidates with non-traditional experience, especially those who have taken time out of the traditional workforce to care for their children or other loved ones.
Otter embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.