San Francisco, CA /
Otter is on a mission to create a world of care and opportunity by connecting parents who need childcare with stay-at-home parents who can care for their kids. Our goal is for every child to have access to safe, high-quality childcare and for every stay-at-home parent to be economically empowered in a way never before possible. Over the next ten years, Otter will facilitate millions of hours of childcare and unlock billions of new economic opportunities for stay-at-home parents.
Otter is growing quickly!
Otter’s growth has surpassed our most optimistic expectations: Otter is live in two cities, growing quickly, and we have more demand than we can keep up with. We’re building a category-defining, technology driven solution that works for today’s families in the $75B childcare category. Otter has attracted more than $27M from leading venture investors and angels, including Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Abstract Ventures, Thrive Capital, and a diverse set of world-class operators including Kevin & Julia Hartz, Michael Ovitz, Dylan Field, Scott Belsky, Maran Nelson, Hunter Horsley, Backend Capital, Varsha Rao, Jana Messerschmidt, Claire Hughes Johnson, Jessica Verrilli, Sarah Nahm, Stephen Chau, Marc Hedlund, and Shreya and Anand Iyer.
As an early Product Designer, you will ensure we deliver a world-class user experience for our families while building a durable business. You will help shape the end-to-end design and usability of our product on both web and mobile and bring ideas to reality in working with our engineering and product teams.
What you'll do:
- Create wireframes, prototypes, mockups, and high-fidelity designs for native web and mobile experiences in collaboration with engineering and product teams.
- Research, explore, and test new product concepts and ideas.
- Analyze and iterate on existing designs to build the most intuitive user journey based on first-hand feedback from our families.
- Collaborate with product, engineering, design, data science, support operations, and trust and safety teams.
What you're great at:
- Moving quickly to learn what works and what doesn’t, iterating, and then developing high-fidelity designs, wireframes, prototypes, and mockups to scale impact based on product requirements.
- Designing end-to-end user journeys that put our families at the core.
- Turning plans and strategies into reality through top-notch execution, even in the face of roadblocks and ambiguity.
- Understanding users by gathering and leveraging qualitative and quantitative feedback to improve upon existing product designs and experiences.
- Exercising exceptional judgment to ensure that our execution plans are always true to our values and to the needs of our families.
- Understanding the nuances of iOS, Android, and web browser design styles.
Who you are:
- You believe care work is real work.
- You have superior communication skills, including the ability to prioritize and efficiently and transparently communicate results at a team, executive, and company level.
- You’re willing to talk about your work in writing so you can contribute to a company culture where we learn from one another, so we can learn faster together.
- You have attention to detail and thrive in a fast-moving environment.
- People who know you would call you a team player with a desire to jump in and be “hands on” as needed.
- You embrace Otter's values and operating principles.
What you can expect from us in this process:
- Clear, written communication so you know what to expect from us as you move through the hiring process.
- Questions about how you approach your work, from your favorite language to your worst framework decision.
- Our interviews will adapt to your needs because we want to give you the best possible chance we can to show us your best work.
- A willingness to learn from you about how you think you can be helpful to us so we can figure out how we can best work together.
Please apply even if you don't meet 100% of the criteria above. Nobody checks every box every time and we'd love to talk to you about how and why you can see yourself growing into this role. We're also very open to candidates with non-traditional experience, especially those who have taken time out of the traditional workforce to care for their children or other loved ones.
Otter embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.