Safety and Support Specialist
San Francisco, CA or Portland, OR /
Customer Support /
Otter is on a mission to create a world of care and opportunity by connecting parents who need childcare with stay-at-home parents who can care for their kids. Our goal is for every child to have access to safe, high-quality childcare and for every stay-at-home parent to be economically empowered in a way never before possible. Over the next ten years, Otter will facilitate millions of hours of childcare and unlock billions of new economic opportunities for stay-at-home parents.
Otter is growing quickly!
Otter’s growth has surpassed our most optimistic expectations: Otter is live in two cities, growing quickly, and we have more demand than we can keep up with. We’re building a category-defining, technology driven solution that works for today’s families in the $75B childcare category. Otter has attracted more than $27M from leading venture investors and angels, including Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Abstract Ventures, Thrive Capital, and a diverse set of world-class operators including Kevin & Julia Hartz, Michael Ovitz, Dylan Field, Scott Belsky, Maran Nelson, Hunter Horsley, Backend Capital, Varsha Rao, Jana Messerschmidt, Claire Hughes Johnson, Jessica Verrilli, Sarah Nahm, Stephen Chau, Marc Hedlund, and Shreya and Anand Iyer.
As a member of our safety and support team, you’ll make sure our community is safe for everyone and our members are met with warmth and competence when they have questions or needs that aren’t being met by our product. You'll build trust with every interaction by exercising your best human qualities, like compassion and empathy, even in the face of frustration.
Otter coordinates a lot of moving parts to deliver best-in-class care experiences for both our caregivers and care seekers. You will need to think deeply about their needs, and understand how Otter works in detail. Building transformative childcare infrastructure at scale isn't always easy, but if you're good at your job, our family members will never find that out. In a given week, you can expect to resolve hundreds of support tickets and calls within 12 hours of submission, all while maintaining an NPS over 90.
What You'll Do:
- Create and sustain trusting relationships with our family members.
- Evaluate potential new members against our background check criteria.
- Answer questions from members over chat, email, and phone in real time and with empathy.
- Handle member requests, including things like application and screening questions and match logistics.
- Identify the systemic flaws that lead to member problems or confusion and translating them into product suggestions.
- Write articles and FAQs for our Help Center.
- Put in place processes to make your and your team's jobs more efficient, including improving our existing internal tools.
What You're Great At:
- Showing empathy and staying calm in the face of frustration and unpleasantness, especially when working on multiple things at once.
- Building trust with customers and team members
- Fielding hundreds of inbound requests per week and keeping a clean, ordered inbox.
- Learning, improving, and automating processes that are part of your regular job duties as much as possible without sacrificing the quality of work you deliver.
- Understanding how to embed risk management best practices into excellent customer support
Who You Are:
- You embrace Otter's values: care first, always build trust, and maximize magic.
- You're up for the challenge of doing good things, doing hard things, and doing things with care.
- You believe care work is real work.
- You're comfortable approaching your work with an experimental mindset.
- You’re energized by the ambiguity and intensity inherent in a rapidly growing, early stage company.
- You’re an excellent problem solver, and don’t need to be told exactly what to do.
- You love delivering delightful customer service experiences.
- You’ve worked for over 3 years in a fast paced environment, preferably in an early stage startup.
Please apply even if you don't meet 100% of the criteria above. Nobody checks every box every time and we'd love to talk to you about how and why you can see yourself growing into this role. We're also very open to candidates with non-traditional experience, especially those who have taken time out of the traditional workforce to care for their children or other loved ones.
Otter embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.