Head of Engineering
San Francisco, CA /
Otter is on a mission to create a world of care and opportunity by connecting parents who need childcare with stay-at-home parents who can care for their kids. Our goal is for every child to have access to safe, high-quality childcare and for every stay-at-home parent to be economically empowered in a way never before possible. Over the next ten years, Otter will facilitate millions of hours of childcare and unlock billions of new economic opportunities for stay-at-home parents.
Otter is growing quickly!
Otter’s growth has surpassed our most optimistic expectations: Otter is live in two cities, growing quickly, and we have more demand than we can keep up with. We’re building a category-defining, technology driven solution that works for today’s families in the $75B childcare category. Otter has attracted more than $27M from leading venture investors and angels, including Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Abstract Ventures, Thrive Capital, and a diverse set of world-class operators including Kevin & Julia Hartz, Michael Ovitz, Dylan Field, Scott Belsky, Maran Nelson, Hunter Horsley, Backend Capital, Varsha Rao, Jana Messerschmidt, Claire Hughes Johnson, Jessica Verrilli, Sarah Nahm, Stephen Chau, Marc Hedlund, and Shreya and Anand Iyer.
The Head of Engineering role is an incredible opportunity for the right person to join Otter as the first engineering hire, to shape Otter’s product, and to influence company culture so we can deliver an unparalleled experience to our users. The Head of Engineering will support Otter's mission by building an engineering culture where engineers aspire to work and deliver results that they initially thought were beyond their abilities. The Head of Engineering will also be primarily responsible for managing and growing the engineering team so we can deliver a category-defining product. You’ll be working closely with Otter’s founder, who led Otter to 7 figures in annualized revenue within four months of launch. Early team members will be people who believe deeply in Otter’s mission and who believe that Otter can achieve disproportionate impact by building an exceptionally capable and nimble team.
As Otter's Head of Engineering, you will:
- Build Otter’s engineering organization. You will hire, train, motivate, mentor, and empower engineers by defining individual roles and responsibilities, generating engineering buy-in, allocating engineering resources, and managing team and individual progress and happiness.
- Directly contribute to building Otter’s products. While you’re building your team, you’ll also be contributing to our codebase.
- Create and maintain processes that ensure high quality products can be delivered against engineering deadlines so Otter can ship products on timelines aligned with our overall business priorities.
- Be a key thought partner, informing our strategic and product roadmaps, identifying inefficiencies, and implement methods to streamline execution across the company.
Who you are
- You embrace Otter's values: care first, always build trust, and maximize magic.
- You're up for the challenge of doing good things, doing hard things, and doing things with care.
- You believe care work is real work.
- You’re not afraid to write code and fulfill your evolving role as manager of a small but fast growing team.
- You're comfortable approaching your work with an experimental mindset.
- You’re energized by the ambiguity and intensity inherent in a rapidly growing, early stage company and you take initiative to drive your team to achieve great things.
- You’re known for shipping products and features lightning fast. You’re an excellent problem solver, and don’t need to be told exactly what to do.
- You’re comfortable working on backend, web, and mobile.
- You want to be a part of a very fast moving startup, learn a lot, have a lot more freedom to make your own decisions, and work on challenging problems.
- You have v1 experience.
- You’re not looking for a more structured role, where you work with product managers and hand things off to QA.
- You’ve worked for over 8 years in a fast paced environment, preferably in an early stage startup.
You have experience
- Leading an engineering team at a venture-backed company (or equivalent) through a product launch.
- Synthesizing input from customers, business leads, and from within the tech organization to make critical prioritization decisions.
- Hiring, motivating, mentoring, managing, and assessing distributed teams.
- Designing, implementing, and revising development and testing processes that yield high quality products, deliver results on time, and maximize your team's happiness.
Otter's commitment to you
- Competitive salary and equity
- Health, vision, and dental coverage through an individual HRA
- Unlimited PTO — and we'll insist you actually use it!
Please apply even if you don't meet 100% of the criteria above. Nobody checks every box every time and we'd love to talk to you about how and why you can see yourself growing into this role. We're also very open to candidates with non-traditional experience, especially those who have taken time out of the traditional workforce to care for their children or other loved ones.
Otter embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.